Lock a bool?

Started by
8 comments, last by T1Oracle 16 years, 9 months ago
If the data shared between multiple threads is a bool do you need to lock it between reads and writes when only one thread does the witting? I plan on separating my windows update pump from the rendering thread and I need to know when to quit (only happens once) and when the screen resolution has changed (will be a very rare event) and locking a mutex once/frame seems like a bad idea. Locking once every 10 frames doesn't sound much better either. But if all I need to sync is a bool and all I check is wether or not it is true (non zero), then I don't see how not locking could cause a problem. I imagine that the worst that could happen is the bool gets changed and that update is missed for 1 frame.
Programming since 1995.
Advertisement
Mark it as volatile.

I was brainstorming on the concept of concurrent bool value access before, and whether it's possible for it to be corrupted in the first place (assuming only valid values get written to it in the first place), but didn't really find anything too dramatic about it.

Also, locking once per frame means 500 locks per second max, usually 50-150. If you use any semi-decent lock implementation, it'll be fast enough.

For the reference, the networking system I was testing handled some 20,000 messages per second, with 3 (or 2, depends on receive/send) different locks per message, and 20 threads total. By the time network capacity was maxed out, CPU on single core was at around 15%.

So even if you choose to lock it, it's not that bad.
Thanks a billion. I don't use volatile much, I guess I need to do more reading.
Programming since 1995.
A mutex would have been massive overkill for that kind of thing anyway.
A simple critical section would have been more than sufficient.
Using InterlockedIncrement would do the trick nicely.
However, simply marking the variable as volatile should be enough in this case.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
InterlockedIncrement / Decrement is designed for this type of synchronization. If the memory for the variable is aligned correctly, the operations are guaranteed to be atomic; that is, the value doesn't change in the middle of the call. Also, said functions are relatively light-weight.

Using volatile variables will make some compiler optimizations impossible or difficult, so I recommend avoiding the keyword if possible.

Niko Suni

A single write is guaranteed atomic, the issue comes if you do a test/write pair in the writing thread. In the former case a simple assignment will be fine. Otherwise you'll need InterlockedIncrement or such.
Either way, you should mark the variable volatile.
Also, if you read the bool multiple times in the same thread for a single frame, make a copy of it at the start of the frame to ensure its value is consistent throughout that frame (assuming that's the behaviour you want, of course).
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
Thanks for all the help. I still need to learn about InterlockedIncrement but it looks like a windows only thing. I wanted to use boost::threads for all my multi-threading needs. Although I do realize that the threads library is not complete.
Programming since 1995.
Quote:Original post by T1Oracle
Thanks for all the help. I still need to learn about InterlockedIncrement but it looks like a windows only thing. I wanted to use boost::threads for all my multi-threading needs.

boost::threads uses appropriate platform counter-parts in threading library, which is one reason why it makes sense to use it.

I won't guarantee about details of which gets used where, but last time I checked, the implementation looked quite efficient.

Well that's reassuring. I remember seeing some warning in the boost documentation not too long ago, but now I can't find it. Whatever...
Programming since 1995.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement