Need help with vectors and class structure...

Started by
18 comments, last by geo2004 16 years, 10 months ago
I still need to see the cGame.cpp code. And you might as well toss the player.cpp code up while you're at it. Here are some things I've noticed (most likely unrelated to the problem, but are issues worth pointing out):

1) #pragma once is not neccessarily the best way to do include guards, as it only works on some compilers. It should be fine for now, but you should be aware of its shortcomings. I suggest you read this article.

2) Remove all references to #include "stdafx.h" and remove stdafx.h and stdafx.cpp from your project. Go to the project settings, under C/C++, Precompiled Headers, and set "Use Precompiled Headers" to "Not Using Precompiled Headers.h" Precompiled headers should not be enabled by default; they can cause a lot of trouble for people who don't know how to use them, and unless you use them properly anyway, they give you no benefit.

3) It's <cstdlib> in C++, not <stdlib.h>.

4) Do not put "using namespace std;" in headers, as it effectively pollutes the global namespace and destroys the point of namespaces. You can explicitly qualify the namespaces as you need to (e.g., std::vector<whatever> instead of vector<whatever>).

5) I think the "c" prefix on your class is a waste of space and looks ugly.

6) You have "public:" multiple times in cGame, this is unnecessary.

7) Like with <stdlib.h>, the proper C++ include for the C math header is <cmath>.

8) Again: avoid using directives in headers, and you have a redundant public specifier.

9) Where is Item defined? In BaseObject.h? You use it in player.h but you have not seemed to declare/define it yet; the compiler will eventually complain about this.

Alas, none of this is a cause of your actual compiler error. I will need to see the rest of the code for that.
Advertisement
Alright, I fixed your list:
1. Wasn't even sure what that did. It was there when i created the classes, so i left it. I'll read up on it.

2-4. Done.

5. Habit from school, although you can see I didn't do it for all my classes, lol, i need to change it.

6. Again, these double public:'s were there when i created the classes, just didn't remove them.

7-8.ok.

Item is a derived class of BaseObject. It will be used for things like weapons, etc.

I have a few questions, and I'll ask them as I show you the new code...
cGame.cpp code:
#include "cGame.h"#include <vector>cGame::cGame(void){   //Now that you've made me look at these, I know i need to declare my vectors, but is it the same as in my .h?  isn't that redundant?}cGame::~cGame(void){}

Player.cpp code (problems here)
// I had all this commented out.  Since i'm defining my functions in my .h, I //don't have to do it here...do I?  I remember back from one of my first C++ //courses (2 years ago in college), and we didn't have any .cpp files for our //classes./*#include "Player.h"Player::Player(void){}Player::~Player(void){}*/

Thanks so much for your help so far jpetrie, i owe you one.
Bash my code all you want (i know its ugly,havn't done this in a couple years), it won't hurt my feelings, :).
That's not all of cGame.cpp, is it? The lines that cause your compiler error are not there...

Quote:
Now that you've made me look at these, I know i need to declare my vectors, but is it the same as in my .h? isn't that redundant?

No. The vectors are declared in the class definition. Since they are non-static members, you don't need to do anything else to them in the constructors or anywhere else.

You also don't need to #include <vector> again in cGame.cpp. Remember that in C++, the compiler compiles translation units (in isolation). A translation unit is essentially a .cpp file after it's been fed through the preprocessor, so all #includes and #defines are resolved. Since cGame.cpp includes cGame.h, and cGame.h includes vector, the translation unit formed from cGame.cpp already has vector included.

IDEs pass files with expected C and C++ extensions (.c, .cpp, .cxx, .C, etc) to the compiler automatically, one at a time (you can actually control which extensions are considered source files in many IDEs). Header files are never directly seen by the compiler.
Well, I'm not getting that constructor error about the vector anymore...but i still can't do a .push_back on it? I also can't use the method getX(one i just put in there to see if it worked) after i declare a new Player.

Yep, thats all of cGame.cpp.

K, so they way I see it. the .cpp files are pretty much only used to define methods, to make the .h files easier to read? i.e., you could have your function prototype: void eat(bla bla bla); in your .h.
Then in your .cpp, you would actually define the function.
Player::eat(bla bla bla){//Not exactly sure if thats correct syntax.
// do necessary stuff here...
}

correct? or no?

Jeff
Quote:
Well, I'm not getting that constructor error about the vector anymore...but i still can't do a .push_back on it? I also can't use the method getX(one i just put in there to see if it worked) after i declare a new Player.

Yep, thats all of cGame.cpp.

There's no code anywhere there that is attempting to call push_back. There's hardly any code there at all. You've got to post the code for the file that has the error, the line that the error occurs on, and the exact error message. Otherwise I can only guess at potential problems. And there are a lot of options.

What do you mean when you say you can't "do a push_back on it?" What error do you get? Just because the Intellisense won't pop up anything doesn't mean you can't do it. Intellisense is not particularly 100% reliable.

Quote:
K, so they way I see it. the .cpp files are pretty much only used to define methods, to make the .h files easier to read? i.e., you could have your function prototype: void eat(bla bla bla); in your .h.
Then in your .cpp, you would actually define the function.
Player::eat(bla bla bla){//Not exactly sure if thats correct syntax.
// do necessary stuff here...
}

correct? or no?

Basically.
My error is in my main .cpp code. When i created this project, i called it "TheGame", just cuz i was too lazy to think of a cool name. when i try to do player.push_back, it is in TheGame.cpp. Here is what some of that code looks like...
#include <windows.h>#include <cstdlib>#include <ctime>#include <vector>#include <glut.h>#include <cmath>#include <ilut.h>#include <il.h>#include "cGame.h"#include "BaseObject.h"#include "Player.h"#include "Item.h"// Here is where i was doing my Player instantiation, just to see if it would work// I put the errors after the line that they correspond to.Player temp(1.0f,1.0f,2);   player.push_back(temp);// thegame.cpp(20) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '.'  and...... error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int...// A lot more random code here that I have to move to different places.// Stuff like initializing players, etc, from when i was using structures and arrays.

Sorry i didn't put that up earlier. I guess i wasn't clear on the names of the .cpp files and the errors i was getting.
I need you to post ALL of the code in that file. Every line.

The first error suggests you are missing a brace or semicolon somewhere above that first error. Or that those lines exist outside of any scope (they have to be in a function somewhere, they can't just be sitting there at global scope directly after your include statements. That's not legal.
K, that may have been one problem, I didn't instantiate my player in a function, i was just trying to do it globally, just to see if it worked.

I moved it down into where I would have it, when the 'm' key is pressed, and i get these errors on that line:
error C2065: 'player' : undeclared identifier
error C2228: left of '.push_back' must have class/struct/union
see declaration of 'temp'

here is the code for TheGame.cpp. I'll omit most of the functions that are for drawing etc, for space reasons.

#include <windows.h>#include <cstdlib>#include <ctime>#include <vector>#include <glut.h>#include <cmath>#include <ilut.h>#include <il.h>#include "cGame.h"#include "BaseObject.h"#include "Player.h"#include "Item.h"GLuint texture[8];bool sound = true;int i,j;		// Generic loop variableint k=0;bool init = false;GLdouble xm;GLdouble ym;#define PART  750float slowdown=1.0f;void initExplosion();   // forward declarationtypedef struct{     ...}particles;particles particle[PART];void drawBots(){	.....}void explosion(){	.....}void drawItem(){	....}void selection(){	.....}void draw(){	....}void initExplosion(){      .....}void changeSize(int w, int h) {	....}void loadTextures(){	....}void initScene() {	glClearColor(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);	ilInit (); 	ilutRenderer(ILUT_OPENGL); 	ilEnable (IL_CONV_PAL); 	ilutEnable (ILUT_OPENGL_CONV);		glDepthFunc(GL_LEQUAL);	glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);	glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);	glEnable(GL_BLEND);	glHint(GL_PERSPECTIVE_CORRECTION_HINT,GL_NICEST);	glHint(GL_POINT_SMOOTH_HINT,GL_NICEST);	//glShadeModel(GL_SMOOTH);	glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);	loadTextures();	srand(time(0));	init = true;}void renderScene(void) {	....}void mouse(int but,int state,int x,int y){	....}void normal(unsigned char key, int, int) {  switch (key) {	case 'm' : Player temp(1.0f,1.0f,2);player.push_back(temp);break;  //Got errors on this line....  }  glutPostRedisplay();}void main(int argc, char **argv) {	glutInit(&argc, argv);	glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_DEPTH | GLUT_DOUBLE | GLUT_RGBA);	glutInitWindowPosition(100,100);	glutInitWindowSize(640,480);	glutCreateWindow("The Game");	if(!init)		initScene();	glutDisplayFunc(renderScene);	glutIdleFunc(renderScene);	glutReshapeFunc(changeSize);	glutKeyboardFunc(normal);	glutSpecialFunc(pressKey);	glutSpecialUpFunc(releaseKey);	glutMouseFunc(mouse);	glutMainLoop();}
0) Your include order seems a little random and disorganized. No big deal, just commenting.

1) All of these globals are probably entirely unnecessary, and could be scoped more locally. i and j at global scope is particularly silly. You know you can declare variables within the for construct, right? for(int i = 0; i < X; ++i) ...

2) const int PART = 750; is preferred over #define PART 750 for constants. They're typesafe.

3) typedef struct is unnecessary in C++. struct particles { ... }; will work fine.

4) The function normal() does not declare "player," nor do you declare it at global scope. You have a player member in cGame, but that requires that you either access player via an instance of cGame (cGame game; game.player...) or that the function you are accessing player with is a member of cGame (void cGame::normal()...}).

Thanks for the info on the #defines and whatnot.

I understand what you mean now that I have to go through an instance of game to get to player, (I did cGame game; game.player[0].blablabla, all worked fine).

This means I really need to sit down and think about the organization of my classes. Because even my GL and GLUT functions (which is where the normal() function comes in) need to be in some class, well, normal() anyways, not the GLUT functions themselves.

Would a way of doing this be structured kinda like this...
Base class Game.
Derived classes:
MouseInput
KeyboardInput

Then in my KeyboardInput class, i would have my normal function, which in turn could then instantiate my player correctly, and add it to the player vector?

Is my thinking on that correct? Do you know of any places I could go to read up on some good class structure/organization for 2D tile-based games?

Thanks so much for your help and patience jpetrie. I hope I didn't make you pull all your hair out!

Jeff

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement