• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Thunder

Good Beginning 3D Project?

This topic is 4137 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been learning about 3D graphics with OpenGL for a while, and have decided to do an entire project in 3D to bring together what I've done. The problem is, I don't have any good ideas. I usually do Pong to learn new languages/APIs, but I've done that over and over before in 2D, and I don't think it would be much of a challenge. Does anyone have any ideas for a small project that would teach me the basics of 3D games? Of course, it doesn't have to be a game; a demo would be fine too.

Advertisement
Captain,

Go ahead and do Pong as a 3D game. It's rather interesting, actually. And since you've already got experience writing Pong games it should be easier than usual.

Here's what you do...

Instead of a 2d "circle" use a 3D Ball. Rather than using 2D "Paddles" use 3D Walls. Rather than have the user looking at it from "top-down" with the two walls on the left and right, instead, move the camera just above and behind one of the walls...Poof! Now instead of "Pong" you've got something more similar to table tennis.

You can even make it more interesting by giving the world a skybox, and put up shaders to make it so whenever the ball strikes an edge of the map it has a little "electrical discharge" like hitting an electric fence or something.

Anyways, I just wanted to show you how something as simple as Pong can look really cool in 3D, even with relatively simple rules.

Cheers!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!