• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Texture quality

This topic is 3855 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've noticed some really strange behaviour of 32bit tga textures. There is a screenshot to better represent the problem: CLICK HERE There is a major color distortion in the right part of the image. Don't know why, but it happens to all the objects with 32 bit textures applied. I've also made some tests and noticed the following: CLICK HERE The first quad - is a jpg texture opened in an image editing software, showing a perfect transition between the 2 colors. The second part - is an ingame screenshot of the same texture applied to a quad. The third - an ingame screenshot of the same image converted to 24bit tga, loaded as a texture and applied to a quad (there is almost no difference from the second one). The last part - is an ingame screenshot of 32bit tga applied to a quad. Please notice the jerky color transition on the last 3 quads. Why is there a so noticeable difference between the first and the rest of the quads? (32bit tga being of the worst quality) When I open all the textures in an image editor - it all seems to display right. Can it be a problem in my texture loading code, or is it a wrong configuration of the renderer? I don't even know what direction to start digging. Help please!

Advertisement
It would help if you posted some of your code. Looking at the second set of images that you posted, it looks like you are using a 16 bit color depth for you desktop. The gradient should be much smoother. This doesn't really explain the drastic difference between your 24 bit and 32 bit versions, but it is a starting point. Try setting the color depth to 32 bit and retest. If there is no improvement, then check how you are representing the internal format for both of these image types and make sure you are properly representing the data before you pass it on down. If that is not the problem, then it more than likely lies within your image reader. Anyway, code always help in diagnosing these kind of problems.

The loading and rendering code was fine. It was my driver settings. I've reset all the settings to default and it helped. Stupid me...
Thanks for Your attention!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement