• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
trapdoor

[web] I've come to a crossroads

This topic is 4135 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have come to a point where I need to choose what the actual game runs in. Flash, Java, a combination of javascript with Ajax calls and standard HTML, Ajax revamp, or other. I have little knowledge of Flash and my Java is REALLY rusty. I coded something for school but that was over 6 years ago. I'd have to refresh myself on compiling, and writing java applets. All solutions will make http calls to a php file which returns XML. I'm doing this to make the site and it's various versions standard in the data it uses. I'm unsure to which I should use. On the one hand, the Ajax solution already exists for the original site. It will need to be tweaked to work with the new one, but all the work should be minor. Java and Flash are also new to me pretty much so I can't jump in right away without learning the basics. On the other hand, I wanted to change the "gameboard" portion of the site anyway and I'm not sure of how this will affect the existing javascript. A java or flash solution will / should allow me to do some extra things that would be way too much for any browser with javascript. I also noticed that with all the visibility toggling and DOM manipulation could make the browser slow at times. Possibly more than just having a flash / java version. The old way has way too many clicks to perform actions and there's no alternative than to redo it from scratch. One of the extra things I want to do is have lines or arrows indicating all the current orders (an order is sending X ships from one planet to another... the order is carried out at the end of the turn) So there are multiple orders until they become permanent and you get new ships to order around. In the current model, I'd need to use a javascript vector library which I KNOW will do a lot on a browser. So any suggestions? Background: I have written a game in php/mysql and javascript/ajax (which is optional, the game still works without it). It's a strategy game that is a clone (or was) of Konquest from Linux. If you don't know that game, it's closest cousin is Risk. But currently the game is too large visually. Players have to scroll horizontally because the details of whatever they hover over are past their screen. ... for large gameboards that is. I was never truly satisfied with the look anyway. So I've begun to recode the site completely. I'm separating the site into various versions... Ajax compatible, no javascript capable, even a PDA version. I'm working on the Ajax solution right now and the whole site is almost done except for the game itself. The old code for the game is still there, but I have to decide first if I want to reshape it to be the solution for the AJAX version. ---------------- I find myself too long winded for my own good sometimes.

Advertisement
I would recomend Flash. It is really easy to get into if you know general programming basics (C++-ish syntax, it is actually very similiar to javascript which you presumably know since your site uses it). Flash would allow you to easily integrate the game into the webpage (just imbed the .swf file, very simple) and it would also allow you more freedom in what you do with the game. After Flash I would probably recomend either Java if you want to have more freedom or javascript/Ajax for a less work intensive approach (since you already have a bunch of code to start with).

~Blackviper91

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!