GUI in games. What do you prefer?

Started by
13 comments, last by lude 16 years, 10 months ago
Hey. I have some general question. Lets say you developing a game. I'm almost sure you need to implant GUI system to you game (main menu, options, setting or whatever). So you have 4 choices: 1. Use a ready GUI (like paragui, guichan if you use SDL). 2. Write GUI by yourself (specially for this game/app). 3. Use GUI you already wrote for your last game/app. 4. Freeze you game/app developing, and write your own GUI system that you will use in all your project. So what do you prefer? [Edited by - s.kwee on June 26, 2007 7:36:17 AM]

I would love to change the world, but they won’t give me the source code.

Advertisement
Um, 4. Partially write my own using interfaces only.

Then use a few addapter classes that call the real implementation. That way I can swap out the back end of the GUI. Because I really like writing my own first to understand what's needed to get it all done and appreciate the work that went into somebody elses system. One that works, and possibly better then my own home brew.
Actually wanted to add 4 but 4 is inside 2 and 3 :)
Any way I edited the first post.

More replays ppl :)

I would love to change the world, but they won’t give me the source code.

I'd prefer writing it myself and refactoring it for my next projects because I really feel programming a GUI is one of the interesting part of making a game (engine). Of course if I actually wanted to make a game I would never waste time writing one myself. It's very hard to beat existing GUIs and even if you manage, then it will only be by a little bit.
I finally did write one for my last mini project. Again, that was me underestimating the size of having to do it. It took a considerable amount of time to get done. It was almost as much time to get it mostly complete as the game itself. Generally because I made it pretty much how I wanted to make it. It was a learning experience for sure.

I'll go with substitute option 4 then :/. When I was brain dead from working on the same thing for too long and I jump to a different project due to lack of energy. I'm a scatterbrain of sorts sometimes. So, I did freeze game development and tried my hand at the interfaces... it was like it was a totally seperate system. I was, for a while, reenergized to code. The bonus about this is that it was something that folded back into the game that I ran out of energy coding. So the game got a pretty front end to boot... and it's seperated for reuse later.
Quote:Original post by CTar
I'd prefer writing it myself and refactoring it for my next projects because I really feel programming a GUI is one of the interesting part of making a game (engine). Of course if I actually wanted to make a game I would never waste time writing one myself. It's very hard to beat existing GUIs and even if you manage, then it will only be by a little bit.

I also vote for this.
gameswf (or, if you have the budget, Scaleform Gfx). Then the GUI can be designed in Flash, and finding a Flash designer these days is easy. Hell, avoiding a Flash designer (or the ubiquitous "graphic designer" hipster) is harder!
I tend to like to use what's out there if it's good, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel, but if nothing is suitable, I'll settle for option 2 and write a GUI system for the game/app I'm writing. Since I'm already making a framework for myself, option 4 is out for me.

- Jon
I definitely write my own. :) But it's a learning thing for me. In my larger game I'm making there is no GUI with the functionality I need (for that specific language). If you're in that case then you kind of have to make your own.

I'd say if you've never created a GUI before then you should give it a go.
I'd write my own. For learners, it's a great chance to make practical use of OO design - since GUIs are extremely well suited to it.
NextWar: The Quest for Earth available now for Windows Phone 7.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement