Keeping a change log.

Started by
10 comments, last by YellowShadow 16 years, 10 months ago
I was wondering, if keeping a change log is good for game development? Also what goes inside the change log? I have a bug tracker up and running (Mantis) but I don't know how to make a change log using that. Is it possible? Thanks, YellowShadow
-----------------I develop games :)
Advertisement
I have pretty much all of my projects under source control (Subversion, Perforce, CVS). The commit logs provide a good change log.
Are you an only developer? If you are how do you use SVN? Is it installed on your computer or what?
general change logs in the form of cvs commit comments are good, but
the most useful thing is to comment your bug fixes, especially those
that are not simple brainos. Having a written motivation for why
a particular piece of code is the way it is is invaluable to keep old
bugs from reappearing.

---visit my game site http://www.boardspace.net - free online strategy games

Quote:
Are you an only developer? If you are how do you use SVN? Is it installed on your computer or what?

I work on multiple projects, some of which I'm the only developer on, some of which are part of a team. I have a server that I can host my projects on, but SVN can be installed and operate locally if you want.
I'll try to install SVN server on my machine today. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks!
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
Quote:

I work on multiple projects, some of which I'm the only developer on, some of which are part of a team. I have a server that I can host my projects on, but SVN can be installed and operate locally if you want.

I second that.

Source control is vital for a (semi-) professional working style. It's even useful if you are the only developer, even if only to protect your work by implicitly backing up everything you checked in (hence you should either keep your repository on a -at least logically- different location than your work copy and make a backup from time to time).

Also, if get into the habit of documenting your changes at each login (the exact location and code is implicitly available by using diff on the different revisions), you get your change log automatically.

"I can't live without subversion anymore!" - quote from a friend of mine when he contaced me today because of server problems. [smile]
Quote:
even if only to protect your work by implicitly backing up everything you checked in (hence you should either keep your repository on a -at least logically- different location than your work copy and make a backup from time to time).

The other day, I had a particularly hard crash in a fashion that, likely combined with some other stuff the computer was doing at the time, and perhaps the appropriate alignment of the stars, rendered my network interface usable. As well as my data drive...

...and the drive that accepted periodic backups of the data drive. So far I've been unable to recover either drive (although the network interface thing was fixed by jiggling it on and off in the BIOS, although I'm not really sure how that entire scenario happened). I lost a lot of work and other data, and I'm now considering sending the data drive to a recovery service.

So I'd definately recommend (in the interests of also keeping things on topic) setting up networked backups if you can, or media backups (I find them impractical to do automatically, however).
I have an extra machine that I don't use. Would it be logical to install a server version of linux and install SVN there?
Sure.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement