Average selling statistics for Indie games?

Started by
3 comments, last by PolycountProductions 16 years, 9 months ago
Hi, More specifically I was wondering what the average monthly sales statistics (games sold, not price) are for the first 6 months the game is available, and whether or not the sales kept steady afterwards? I'm looking for a general consencus consensus, but just input from anyone who reads this that doesn't mind posting their experience :) Thanks, Jedd
Advertisement
Sorry but your question is meaningless. It is like asking the average sales of food products. You can't generate a meaningful average sales of all cheese products, all meat products, all vegetable products, all deli products in one big group. Games are the same as food in that the market is made of many many very different products. There are many different genres, size of game, format, sales mechanism, quality level etc - an average is meaningless.

Tell us in detail what type of product you need to know about/want to make and we may be able to help.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Read the thread I released my game a week ago.

Pay attention to the articles: this one, and this one, and this one, and this (part one) (part two).

In very vague terms, an 'average' homebrew game will probably sell roughly 0 games (give or take a few) during the first year. Those who intelligently cultivate their business beyond the first game will sell significantly more copies.

In other software businesses, it is not uncommon for the first sale to take place months to years after the first salable product is available. Getting the first few sales is a major business event.
Thank you frob for the links.

As for my "vague" question. You're absolutely correct! I actually mis-worded part of my post (careless mistake on my part). I meant
Quote:I'm not looking for a general consensus, but just input from anyone who reads this that doesn't mind posting their experience :)

I'm hoping people will just share their personal experiences and sales statistics, not an actual consensus or average. Sorry for my poorly worded original post!

Thanks,
Jedd
There's plenty of game sales statistics here.

Some example sales stats:
- Tribal Trouble - $60,000 sales
- Gish, $121,000 sales
- GL Golf, $28,000 sales

More details and insight on the website.
---Polycount Productions - An Indie Online Multiplayer Games CompanyGameProducer.net - Daily Ideas, Hints and Inspiration for Indie Game DevelopersIndie Game Sales Statistics - downloads, sales and other figures

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement