To become a Game Programmer...

Started by
17 comments, last by the-hero 16 years, 9 months ago
Hello advace Programer! i am a 2nd year Undergraduate Game Programming Student in Staffordshire university and the course is located here, please have look http://www.staffs.ac.uk/courses/undergrad/computingandit/tcm11012664.php the problem is, i have seen EA Sport Game company job presentasent and also i seen some of Game job website, they requiring on Computer Science or Computer Enginering degree. but i am doing a Game Programming. to be a game programmer i though doing this course is more advance than computer science, etc.. but will you anyone tell me why they requiring computer science for game programmer rahter that the course i am doing? and what is your option to become a game programmer? is that computer science or the course i am doing game programming? and why? please reply ASAp. thank you. the new update question thank you all for who are giving me more tips and support to help my self and all tips a great and i am please with it. by the way i doing game maths as well. in 2nd year i am doing Maths & Algorithmics and in final year i thibnk i will have another advance maths for gaming. in 2nd year i have choosed to do Programming Physics Engines for games Computer Graphics Window Game Programming AI methords Futher Programming concept in C++ Profisonal & Enterprise Development Database & web database system Maths & Algorithmics but i have thinking which option is better to do Futher Programming concept in C++ or Futher Programming for 3D application? thank you [Edited by - the-hero on July 9, 2007 3:09:45 PM]
Advertisement
Computer Science is loosely defined as "Programming".
So what you are getting is, more or less, a Computer Science degree specializing in Games. CompSci 1 is basic structure and syntax, as CompSci II is Data Structures. You should recieve this traingin in your degree.

Hope it helps,
Louis Ingenthron

BTW: This is probably the wrong section to post in for this topic
Regards,FortisVenaliterLead Developer - Unsignedhttp://www.unsigned-game.com
Some programmers get hired with a CS degree (me).
Some of the people i work with got hired out of an Art degree, DigiPen and GuildHall.
It is all about being able to show your employer that you can do what you say you can, and more.
And being able to focus that to tell them that you can do what they need you to.

Though I will say, that getting an actual interview is key. If you can get to where the job is, and tell them that you will be there
for an in person interview you have a much better chance of getting a job. I don't personally know anyone who's got a job over a phone
interview, at any place, game programming or not. It is all about knowing people, and impressing people, and that is very hard to do
over the phone. The paperwork (CS degree/game degree) shows you have motivation, but the follow through is often more important than the paperwork.
so you saying i choosed a wrong course then? (Beng Game Programming)

i though is a specif course for become a game programmer and if that wrong what can i do? can i change to computer science course rather than doing Game programming course?

please reply. thank you advance

Quote:Original post by FortisVenaliter
Computer Science is loosely defined as "Programming".
So what you are getting is, more or less, a Computer Science degree specializing in Games. CompSci 1 is basic structure and syntax, as CompSci II is Data Structures. You should recieve this traingin in your degree.

Hope it helps,
Louis Ingenthron

BTW: This is probably the wrong section to post in for this topic

I think people would suggest CS over a more specific degree like games programming as it offers more job prospects at the end of the degree. However, you should have little problem getting a games programming job if you have a games programming degree and can meet there requirements.

[edit] I don't know what would happen if you and another candidate were evenly matched up for a position but he had a cs degree, you'd have to ask somebody else.
A couple of years ago I'd agree that to get a job as a games programmer you'd need a strieght comp Sci degree because most of the unis offering games degrees didn't have a clue about the games industry or have any staff who had actually worked in the games industry.
Nowadays though a lot of the unis that are offering these degrees have offered large sums of money to get real games programmers on board and cooperate with industry to tailor their degrees to meet industry demands.
I'm currently on placement from the University of Derby where I'm studying BSc Computer Games Programming and the level of programming that is being taught is far above that of most of the people I know who have done Software Engineering or Computer Science at neighbouring universities or even some of the people I'm currently working with who have a couple of years experience under their belt.
The other benifit of attending a degree that is run by former games industry proffesionals is the networking oppertunities and having industry proffesionals invited in to judge end of year presentations and stuff and then being asked if you need work is a great ego booster.

However this isn't to say that a comp sci degree doesn't have some benifits supposing you graduate and then realise that you don't want to make games anymore or realize that you'd get a much better wage writing banking applications then I suppose the comp sci degree would be better.
I'd suggest learning English first, before trying to be a games programmer.

I don't mean any offence, just as a previous employer of many programmers I wouldn't hire you if your written language is as bad as your post on here.
That all depends on if he plans on applying for a job in an english speaking country doesn't it?
thank you for your kind reply but do you think i have less chance to get job by doing BEng Game programming? cz alredy i am in 2nd year so i dont think i can change my course to Computer science. i really concern about what you have said but plz give me some tips which help me to success to be a Game programmer if i continue doing the course what i am doing? (BEng Game Programming @ http://www.staffs.ac.uk/courses/undergrad/computingandit/tcm11012664.php)

Quote:Original post by Buster2000
A couple of years ago I'd agree that to get a job as a games programmer you'd need a strieght comp Sci degree because most of the unis offering games degrees didn't have a clue about the games industry or have any staff who had actually worked in the games industry.
Nowadays though a lot of the unis that are offering these degrees have offered large sums of money to get real games programmers on board and cooperate with industry to tailor their degrees to meet industry demands.
I'm currently on placement from the University of Derby where I'm studying BSc Computer Games Programming and the level of programming that is being taught is far above that of most of the people I know who have done Software Engineering or Computer Science at neighbouring universities or even some of the people I'm currently working with who have a couple of years experience under their belt.
The other benifit of attending a degree that is run by former games industry proffesionals is the networking oppertunities and having industry proffesionals invited in to judge end of year presentations and stuff and then being asked if you need work is a great ego booster.

However this isn't to say that a comp sci degree doesn't have some benifits supposing you graduate and then realise that you don't want to make games anymore or realize that you'd get a much better wage writing banking applications then I suppose the comp sci degree would be better.

Quote:Original post by the-hero
thank you for your kind reply but do you think i have less chance to get job by doing BEng Game programming? cz alredy i am in 2nd year so i dont think i can change my course to Computer science. i really concern about what you have said but plz give me some tips which help me to success to be a Game programmer if i continue doing the course what i am doing? (BEng Game Programming @ http://www.staffs.ac.uk/courses/undergrad/computingandit/tcm11012664.php)

I don't see the reason why you're asking that question. The course called Game programming for a reason. That is to help building your portfolio so you can have better chance breaking into the game industry. A good knowledge of DX and OG alone is a huge advantage, that sets you apart from other normal CS students. Just work hard, get good results and you should able to get the job you want

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement