Stop praising Halo, it's not a gift from God

Started by
26 comments, last by Vanquish 16 years, 9 months ago
I don't think I speak for only myself when I say that the Halo series aren't the greatest games out there. I'm not saying it's a horrible game. It won awards for a reason. My statement is that it does have its cons like most games do, yet I only hear how "perfect" it is from too many people. The question to reply to on this thread is what do you like and/or dislike about Halo and why? What part of the gameplay works for you? Here's some reasons why I'm not bananas about Halo: -Too many people think their a pro Too many times have I heard "I own in Halo" or "I can kick your ass at Halo" these kids make me want to put babies on spikes. I don't dislike the game because of them, I simply dislike playing with these annoying people online (not the game developers fault but still in the game sometimes). They think their unstoppable for the same reason many counter-strike players believe they are: -The gameplay is too easy and casual for me Similar to cstrike where AWP whores exist for this very reason, being able to walk while aiming with perfection, Halo also has its "wait, what?" moments. Unlike BF2 where flying a helicopter or jet is tricky at first but after enough practice you're able to take down the enemy and feel proud of your achievement, In Halo, flying a Banshee is almost as easy as shooting with it. Although I think the dodging ability is cool, it doesn't seem to do any good when the other Banshee can shoot at you forever without even overheating. It could have evened out if it was harder to steer or fly, but maybe that's just how airships are going to be in the future: no skill to operate. Halo 3 is coming out and although I'm looking forward to it, it's not going to be that much different. Just like Halo 2 compared to the original. When I see people talk about Halo returning as if Jesus was, it's kinda pathetic. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, since the game deserves its popularity and can still be fun to play. I just wanted to speak my mind as to what I dislike about and the reason for maybe why it's a tad overrated. So now it's your turn, what do you think about the Halo games? [Edited by - Taran Shiro on July 7, 2007 12:06:38 PM]
Advertisement
I don't see how it's a problem that other people like halo more than you do. It's a matter of taste. They're good games, you admit that, and the very simplicity you're complaining about makes them reasonably easy to pick up and play, as long as you're playing the campaign or against people at a similar level. People thinking they're pro is not a problem with the game, it's a problem with the people, and I don't see why that's important to you either. If they're good at it, it'll come out when they play. Either way, you don't have to listen to them.
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
It's all about personal taste and the platform.

On the one hand, I'm with you about Halo. I think it's a good game, but I don't understand the fanaticism about it. But then again, it's primarily a console game, where it's simpler and more casual gameplay is a good thing. In this case, the fact that anyone can pick it up and play competitively for an hour to relax, is a big pro.

One the other hand, I'm a big fan of BF2. Although it's higher degree of realism makes it much harder to get into and play casually than halo, that's also an appeal. And it's realism is better suited for the pc, where mouse pointing allows accurate shooting, rather than the fudgy auto-aimed shooting on consoles.

Any time someone raves about halo, I don't give them a hard time. I just say to each their own. And I don't blame someone for disliking BF2. Everyone's different.

Personally, I don't give a crap about Halo 3 coming out.
Quote:Original post by RAZORUNREAL
I don't see how it's a problem that other people like halo more than you do.

My thread was not made to criticize people who play it, it was to discuss the gameplay. what makes it good for certain people and what makes it bad. the part about me relating to certain players was to demonstrate how much of a crazed game it's become and so I'm asking people why do you think. Try not to take it the wrong way, I'm not trying to target anyone.

gharen2, I like your point how simpler and more casual gameplay is a good thing since you can just pick it up and play, which makes sense for those who don't have a lot of time on their hands to practice like in BF2.
Halo wasn't perfect, but I surely had fun with it. It could've done without the Flood, and the level-design was typical: just as in Oni, the levels were focussed on large-scale architecture, with little eye for smaller details. As a level-designer, I found that both annoying and interesting, because it does work for this kind of game. Anyway, the game was easy to get into, action was never far away, so overall I found it pretty enjoyable. Games that play slowly, or are hard to get into, often feel too intimidating to me: I'll have to invest a lot of time before I can have fun, at which point I stop and say to myself: is it worth it? Often, my answer then is 'no'. Which doesn't say those games can't be difficult, just that they shouldn't be difficult to get started with.

As for the hype, it's just as with any other game: those that really like it, especially youngsters, will devote a lot of time to it, they'll praise it beyond borders. I stopped caring for that. When I enjoy a game, I enjoy it, and when I don't, I'll drop it. Whatever the fanboys say doesn't really matter to me. Why should I let myself get annoyed by them? I've got better things to do. :)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Quote:Original post by RAZORUNREAL If they're good at it, it'll come out when they play. Either way, you don't have to listen to them.

Unfortunately, I do. They sit behind me on my bus ride home from school (I need a car...) and talk about their 'pwnage' in Halo and I want to punch them. Can't they shut up ever?

But as for what I think about it, well I wasn't able to identify what was bugging me, but Captain P said it perfectly. Little attention to detail.
Gharen2 hit the nail right on the head: Halo is easy to pick up and play.
Consider the advantages of console titles:
1) No messy installation business.
2) Same system specs, everyone gets same experience -- if you liked playing halo at your friend's house, buying a copy for your xbox will give you the same experience (barring uncontrollable things like size of tv and so forth).
3) Can play multiplayer without a network connection (though I'd argue that more people play Halo multiplayer over Live than with several controllers on one console).

All up, while there are more arguments for simplicity here -- Halo is popular because it does what it sets out to do well (and you'd want to hope it does, given the development window the original title had...), in a robust and easy to access manner.

Personally, I prefer my FPS games on the PC, but I've played through Halo and its followup and enjoyed the experience -- less accuracy with controller can be frustrating if you're used to PC, but you come to accept it as part of the experience in most cases.

Oh, and let's not forget that even the original Halo looks pretty smart graphically when predecessors on consoles while looking ok (say, goldeneye, other stuff like Red Faction, heck even Time Warriors) did not display anywhere near the level of eye-candy.

My two cents... < /ramble>

~Shiny
------------'C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg.' -Bjarne Stroustrup
Halo will be a gift from God when I see a squad of 8 to 16 Master Chiefs playing in co-op mode over Live (and by extension console LAN). Until then it's a good game.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

You mean the inherently limited control and display mechanisms of trying to play a FPS on a console weren't cons enough?
I think halo's simplicity is a good thing, people are what shifts the balance (when talking of multi-player). Yes awpers in CS can be annoying, but you can use an awp too. Same with halo, sort of, which brings me to my first point.

Weapon control: This is I think one of the largest flaws with halo. Allow people to effectively possess a weapon for the duration of their lifespan. I know it was an attempt to prevent sniper "whoring" but in reality, people just grab the two most powerful guns in the map, and sit somewhere picking people off till their ammo depletes. So hypothetically if I suck at the game (which I do) I now get penalized twice. One because I die, I will probably start with a less powerful weapon, and two, because they can effectively reach out and "touch" anyone, without giving away their position.

Vehicles: Vehicles are easy, but hell, they aren't much harder then a vehicle in real life would be in relation to a person(I'm assuming, I've never flown an attack helicopter). After all MC can jump like 15 feet in the air, and take an ungodly amount of bullets before dieing, he can throw a grenade farther then I personally can see, and he has shields. It only makes sense that vehicles would compensate for this by being far better at maneuvering and fireing. Ok so I'm saying vehicles fit in right, well thats the problem, vehicles work well against master chief, so people complain about them. They run out in front of my tank, I shell them, they die, they complain. Its a god damn tank, I'm not getting out, grab a rocket launcher, and fire, or stick a grenade, like a man:P.

Balance issues: Well for example the plasma pistol/battle rifle combo almost completely eliminates the balance of the game. Its too easy to pull off, and can out perform almost any other gun/combo in the game. Tri-wielding also sucks

Finally just my personal dislike about Halo2. Halo1 seemed to be more involved in multi-player, you could open fire on someone, get up close and personal, and finish them off with the butt of your gun. In Halo2, you get up close and personal, and someone will stick a shotgun in your face, and pull the trigger. Realistic sure, but not as much fun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement