Sign in to follow this  
bubbajoe

Where to begin with management sim game?

Hey, first of all I'm quite new to all this so this may belong in the for beginners section but here goes.. I've been learning visual c++ from a book and now I wanna move on from the basic examples in there to actually creating my own management simulation game. The most advanced thing in the book was tic-tac-toe so I was just wondering if anyone could give me some help on the next step to creating a game like this. I can't find anything else around the net cos everything seems to be geared towards creating 3d action games! Any help is much appreciated Jr.

If I where you the first thing I would do is make a list of what you want
simulated, for example I will take a Zoo. Say you want someone to be able to
mange a zoo, the first thing will be making a list of what it can:
-Want to build cages and put animals into it.
-The number of people comming to the zoo will depent on wich animals you have, and for how long.
-Mange the finaces.

Now you should think of how the user can manage them (I just fill in number or
do you need a lot of varriables and graphical diagrams). And start programming those things.

Tjaalie,

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I meant a managament sim like Football Manager/World Soccer Manager rather than a tycoon game.

Amazingly I was just about to post the same question. I've made actiony sort of games before but I've been wanting to make a turn based simulation recently and I have been thinking of the sort of issues that are important in making that sort of game. I was wondering if there are any veterans of simulations or turn based games that have any tips or ideas of what is necessary or best practices.

I'd actually like to make a real time sim at some point, although I feel like it may make sense to make a turn based one first, as a real time one I feel would have significantly greater scope.

Quote:
Original post by bubbajoe
Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I meant a managament sim like Football Manager/World Soccer Manager rather than a tycoon game.

[rant]...funny how the term manager is always so ambiguous...[/rant]

I would advise that you start with a basic list of the features that you want in the game along with a brainstorm of what will be required to provide those features.

Be specific in this list and include things like:
1) graphics/text display and effects
2) user input methods
3) gameplay features (what can the player do)
4) game rules
5) point system (points can be money, or health, or whatever it is that determines player success, all games have points)

From there it should be more clear what you need to start programming it.

T1Oracle, you just love managers don't you... especially ResourceManagers, if I recall correctly :D (By the way, I decided to break mine up into a ResourceCache and a ResourceFactory after that... SRP in action, to some degree)

bubbajoe, these kinds of games seem very specific and also very data-heavy. I would perhaps even count a game like Battlecruiser among these, but it's nothing like Football Manager. The central point is how much small data is being kept track of and manipulated. So I suggest two things:

1) You might want to leverage a relational database for the data storage, query, and update part. Something like SQLite perhaps. Since the game is not completely real-time, you don't need stellar frame rates. I've not actually used a database in a game, but it should be feasible.

2) Since these programs can be very different (probably the reason you aren't finding much info about them), you should describe the kind of game you envision in more detail, so that we can come up with better ideas and suggestions.

Thanks for all your replies.

I'm planning a Formula one management game of some sort. I figured this would be a good place to start as there is a relatively small amount of data and variables. The player would be able to design parts of the cars with simple parameters (length, width, height) and then balance a budget whilst buying materials and staff etc. A fairly simple game for my first effort I figured.

The main bit I'm struggling I guess is moving on from simple Windows based apps to a full game where there are several different screens and menus for example.