Magic Use

Started by
8 comments, last by HunterCyprus93 16 years, 9 months ago
In most games, magicians are non-fighters. In this forum, we've talked about various ways to level up. Now an idea popped up that might have be shared before but I thought I should bring it up anyway. We have your stock magician, but can he can gain attributes in 2 different ways: Mage and Warrior-Mage. Now regardless of which way you go with this magician somethings stay standard.
  • New magic when first used take up lots of mana.
  • Mana is rechargable.
  • Use of magic either add points to the Mage way or the Warrior-Mage way.
  • A certain amount of points in either way opens up new abilities.
  • Some abilities can't be learned on the battlefield.
Now it's be suggested that high use of a magic raises its level and makes it stronger. High usage instead will make the amount of mana used decrease. For example, the magician learned Fireball but it takes 20 points of mana to use the spell. After using it (for the sake of argument) 20 times, it now takes 14 points of mana. Strength of magic attacks (spells) will be determined in three ways: Magic Houses, summoning attacks at low health, or summoning attacks at low mana. Short explanation/summary:
  • Magic Houses - magicians can go to these Magic Houses to strengthen magic attacks up to a certain level. The training is so rigorous that the magician's mana goes to 0 and doesn't recharge until a battle ensues.
  • Summoning Magic at Low Health - magic spells take longer to execute when the magician's health is low. Therefore this puts a considerable strain on the magician's body. Assuming the magician survives the battle and is healed, the magician will then have gained more strength and in turn be able to cast strong magic.
  • Summoning Magic at Low Mana - once a magician deplete his mana to near-zero or 0 level, it takes some time for his mana to recharge naturally. But if a magician has time, then he can focus his strength on recharging his mana quicker. This however only allows one burst of a magic attack. Also his mana goes back down to 0 after the use of the magic. This as well puts a considerable strain on the magician's body.
Now the difference between ways of Mage and Warrior-Mage. A Mage is a magician that uses magic most of the time (most being >=55% of the time). A Mage can use advanced magic (those who know FF know it as Fire 4) or a combination of magics (think electrified wind attacks). A Warrior-Mage actually fights using his magic as a enhancement. For instance, a magician who uses fire magic can use it to enhance his punch and kicks. Also he could punch an enemy and have them combust after being attacked. A magician does not have to be either a Mage or a Warrior-Mage. They can be some combination of the two. So any outstanding flaws anyone see in this system?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
I like it because it's realistic. But I wouldn't limit it to just mages because it would be confusing if your other characters grew in traditional ways. Develop something similar for all classes.
Well I think this can be extended to other classes. Certain tweaks are necessary of course. I focused on the magician just work out how a magician should progress throughout the game.

No comments? I guess everyone must like it then! [smile]

Well, I don’t see any major flaws in this system (yet :P) and it does sound good. It’s just that there is a point that isn’t clear to me:

Quote: Summoning Magic at Low Mana - once a magician deplete his mana to near-zero or 0 level, it takes some time for his mana to recharge naturally. But if a magician has time, then he can focus his strength on recharging his mana quicker. This however only allows one burst of a magic attack. Also his mana goes back down to 0 after the use of the magic. This as well puts a considerable strain on the magician's body.

I’m not sure how this works. How do a player focus his strength?? I like the idea of giving the mage a chance to do one last spell even if he doesn’t have the Mana to activate it, but how would it work?
Maybe that was a little too wordy. But the magician actually recharges his mana but to a point and then releases the magic. For instance, a magician is out of magic. Yet he wants to use the fireball spell which is 21 points. So he would focus on recharging his mana (quickly). Then, when he had 21 points of mana, he'd release a fireball. His mana goes back to 0.

Just curious, but how will your mana regeneration system work? Is it a meditative state or do mages automatically generate mana at all times?
Normal Mana Regeneration is automatic but slow.
Focused Mana Regeneration is invoked, but quicker. In this case, a meditative state. The mage can't do anything else while in this case.

I like the extra boost, sounds neat, though to me seems the attack power should be ramped up just a little to give it a reason to be used even more. Just an idea. So while 'charging' you wouldn't be able to move either? I like this system but (just a suggestion, I'm rather new here) it would be very strategic if the summoned energy was instantaneous, no wait required...but not only are you back to 0 in the mana dpt. but now you have to suffer a small downtime, signifying the casters exhuastion? Hope this helps.
I agree with Daniels' comment about exhaustion after using the focused mana increase. My reason is if there is no penalty after doing this, and your mana is back at 0, you will just use this again, and again, and again. It removes the need at all for using regular mana regeneration.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement