Sign in to follow this  

This topic is 3810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey! I'm currently (trying) to write a decent 3D engine, and have finished the basic DirectX API thingies. I thought it would be a good idea to implement a scriting language into the engine, as early as possible (so that I later could let it control virtually any aspect of the game). My first and sole suggestion was Python - due to earlier (positive) experiences with the language. When I tried embedding it, this was a bit worse. I tried using Boost.Python, but didn't realy get the hang of it. Now I also have discovered LUA, and have heard that it's better suited. Does anybody have any help/comments/info? Thanks in advance!

I haven't tried embedding python, but I have embedded Lua and I highly recommend it. I gather python is designed as a standalone language whereas Lua is designed to be embedded into a host program.

I have also heard great things about LUA, and it looks like it's working well in games like Garry's Mod. However, I would love if I could implement Python, as I'm not rather fond of LUA's syntax... That means, it's not that bad, but Python is better ;)

I also (today, actually) discovered a scripting language called GameMonkey (GM). I haven't seen this used many places, but I like the syntax (except for function and class declarations). It's also very memory-efficient (more efficient than LUA). Has anyone used this?

I love Python, but it's not a great language for embedding. The API is a bit fragile and it has little to no support for running multiple copies of the interpreter, or for limiting the privileges available to scripts. If that's not a problem, Python should be fine.

I've used GameMonkey and Python for embedding. I prefer Python w/ boost::python, but GameMonkey has a much smaller footprint. Or at least it did a year or so ago when I last used it. I can't imagine it changed much since then. Also as of last year, I found the embedding system to be a bit clunky so I wrote a wrapper for it. Not guarantees that it's useful or even compilable with the latest version.

This topic is 3810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.