Sign in to follow this  
synth_cat

how to make a patch?

This is something I have never done before, and I'm at a bit of a loss to understand how it works. When you make a patch, do you use third-party software? Is it possible to make a patch which fixes a bug in a game without replacing the entire .exe? And is it possible for a patch to update media which is embedded in my .exe as a resource?

I would have thought this would have to do with how you coded the program.

If you hardcoded it all into one exe then you'll goning to have to replace the entire exe even if the change is small.

If you have lots of external files such as configuration files and script files, etc then you'll only have to patch the changed files.

If you need to patch the core engine then you could use dlls so you only have to copy the new dlls.

- im sure somone can go into to more depth..

Or, you could use a diff style application, which determines which bytes in a file have changed, and provide only that.

This is a huge annoyance for users, and given that offline and online are both incredibly cheap, you might as well provide the final version.

Unless you're thinking of online games, then your biggest problem will be tracking changes, and deploying them through some custom patch system.

You could use PatchMaker by ClickTeam here.

Or you could write your own, which isn't an impossible task - perhaps write a utility to create a 'difference' file between the old and new versions, and another utility to compare this file with the user's exe version and update as necessary.