Super Mario source code

Started by
47 comments, last by CrazyCdn 16 years, 8 months ago
I have always wanted to find the original source code to the mario games to see how they implemented such functions as jumping and collision detection. SMB, SMB3, and SMW are the target games, and I'm assuming the algorithms improved from SMB3 to SMW, etc. Does anyone know where I could find the original source code, the disassembled source code, or the original assembly language code for any of these games? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement
Nintendo didn't release the source code to these games.
Simple answer is that you can't legally.
I know that Nintendo never released the code officially but it's probably past the copyright restrictions now after 20+ years... The RAM & ROM maps are already on the net so I figured maybe the source would be available somewhere.
That's just a myth. Just because a game is old, doesn't mean it's legal to rip it. The ROMs of it on the Internet are still illegal. The only way you'd be able to see the source would be by disassembling it, but even then you'd be looking at assembly for whatever platform the game is on, and assembly code usually looks very little like the original source (Unless the game is written in assembly of course).
alternatively you can check this website: http://jnrdev.72dpiarmy.com/
Its a greate resource for making games like mario.
blog: www.brasilokau.com/games/blog
Quote:Original post by GilliganCoder
I know that Nintendo never released the code officially but it's probably past the copyright restrictions now after 20+ years... The RAM & ROM maps are already on the net so I figured maybe the source would be available somewhere.

Hate to break it to you but its something like 75years After the Death of the creator that a copyright expires. So Mario has a long way to go, and if Micky mouse has anything to say about it, it will take even longer.

------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
As a side note, I am possitive I heard that Mario and most of the launch games for the FamiCom were coded in ASM. Later they used a Basic compliler.
_______________ Play my Game at neonswarm.com
Quote:Original post by Th0ughtCr1me
As a side note, I am possitive I heard that Mario and most of the launch games for the FamiCom were coded in ASM. Later they used a Basic compliler.
I believe the original NES games were coded in 8086 assembly or something close to it.

It didn't use an 8086 so I think that's highly unlikly, but since it's ASM, one could disassemble and you would be looking at the original source (since they didn't use optimising assemblers at the time).
_______________ Play my Game at neonswarm.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement