qwerty

Started by
20 comments, last by Malone 16 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by V-man
I've never figure this out. Anyone know what's the matter with MS-VC?

Lots of things were wrong with 6.0. For starters, it was released pre-standard and thus does not support a lot of features of the C++ language. 2003 is much better, but still had sub-par standard library debugging, IMO. 2005 is much better at that sort of thing, and the express edition is free (and highly recommended).
Advertisement
1) For the love of all that is holy, put some thought into your thread title.

2)
Quote:Original post by erissian
That's how it works. It filled the array with the character sized variable 1 (0x0F or 00001111b).

The reason 0 works to fill it with all 0s is because it is made of all 0x itself (0x00 or 00000000b).

If you want to fill it up with all 1s, then use the number made of all 1s (11111111b = 0xFF = 255)

memset(array,255,sizeof(int)*100);

I (and others) assume he wants to fill the array with ints of value 1, rather than with all set bits.

3)
Quote:Original post by Palidine
int array[100];
memset(array, 1, sizeof(sint)*100);

0x01010101 0x01010101 0x01010101 ...

--------------------------------

int array[100];
memset(array, 1, sizeof(int)*100);

0x00000001 0x00000001 0x00000001

Not the problem this time, but you should match these things up in general.

Although there is really no reason to use memset() in C++.

4)
About std:fill, thanks, I didn't know about it until now.
I prefer to use "raw arrays" instead of std classes. It is a question of personal taste and memory alignment, although I use C++.
I was wondering if there is a good old fashion alternative.

a) std::fill *isn't* a class; it's a function. You are still using a "raw array" here; it's just a matter of how you specify how you're filling it.
b) The "std classes" are part of the standard library of the C++ language. Writing C++ code without them is like writing C code without the stuff found in stdio.h, stdlib.h etc. And there is a *lot* of stuff in there that you probably don't even realize (because many compilers let you get away with omitting those #includes even when they shouldn't, relying on "builtins" instead). If you're insistent on writing C code, though, please don't pretend you're writing C++.

5)
Memory alignment I guess is the technical reason.

Like Sneftel said.

And yes, MSVC++ 6.0 is ancient. It boggles the mind how many people out there are still trying to make it work. Or for that matter, how many *new* beginning programmers are somehow ending up with it. I don't even know where or how you could find it any more.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Memory alignment I guess is the technical reason.

Using the default allocator, C++ containers will give you the same alignment guarantees as C-style arrays.

It's not enough. I'm using some other function for 16 byte alignment.
_aligned_malloc and _aligned_free

Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Quote:Original post by Driv3MeFar
I've never figure this out. Anyone know what's the matter with MS-VC?

Lots of things were wrong with 6.0. For starters, it was released pre-standard and thus does not support a lot of features of the C++ language. 2003 is much better, but still had sub-par standard library debugging, IMO. 2005 is much better at that sort of thing, and the express edition is free (and highly recommended).

But why does the same problem appear in VC++.NET 2003

I just tried with the latest VC++Express, it says
error : overloaded operator not found

I can only Watch the variable with
myarray._Myfirst[0]

Also, if anyone knows the C equivalent of memset for 32 bit writes, I would like to know. I ask because memset is efficient. It's better than writing a for loop.
int myarray[100];
for(i=0 i<mytotal; i++)
{
myarray=myvalue;
}

[Edited by - V-man on July 10, 2007 10:42:58 PM]

Simple. Just declare your type as __declspec(align(16)) and C++ containers will do that for you.
Also, if anyone knows the C equivalent of memset for 32 bit writes, I would like to know. I ask because memset is efficient. It's better than writing a for loop.

Couldn't tell you offhand. On modern compilers, std::fill delegates to a tightly optimized routine written in assembler when you use it on things like integers. I guess C might have something like that, though it'd be compiler-dependent.

Then assuming you only want the array aligned to 16 byte boundaries you can use a custom allocator which allocated with _aligned_malloc and releases with _aligned_free or if you want the individual elements aligned then you can just declare the type with __declspec(align(16)) as Sneftel said.

Quote:Couldn't tell you offhand. On modern compilers, std::fill delegates to a tightly optimized routine written in assembler when you use it on things like integers. I guess C might have something like that, though it'd be compiler-dependent.

To be more specific on VS05 std::fill will compile be equivalent to memset for all fundamental types and and types which satisfy __is_pod(type).
From the looks of it, in .NET 2003 "xutility". it only uses memset for 8 bit types, else a standard for loop.

template<class _FwdIt,
class _Ty> inline
void fill(_FwdIt _First, _FwdIt _Last, const _Ty& _Val)
{ // copy _Val through [_First, _Last)
for (; _First != _Last; ++_First)
*_First = _Val;
}

inline void fill(char *_First, char *_Last, int _Val)
{ // copy char _Val through [_First, _Last)
::memset(_First, _Val, _Last - _First);
}

inline void fill(signed char *_First, signed char *_Last, int _Val)
{ // copy signed char _Val through [_First, _Last)
}

inline void fill(unsigned char *_First, unsigned char *_Last, int _Val)
{ // copy unsigned char _Val through [_First, _Last)
}

Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Simple. Just declare your type as __declspec(align(16)) and C++ containers will do that for you.

Until you try using the type with std::vector and the code blows up because the standard requires objects to be passed by value as arguments in some very fundamental function calls. Unfortunately there's no good work around for that (and keep the std::vector usage).
You can't use memset() with non-POD types safely, so yes, it has to loop for those types it cannot specialize. memset() is typically an intrinsic (so it becomes the aforementioned assembly on release). This is at least true in VS2005, I'm pretty sure it was still the case in VS2003.

You can use custom allocators or compiler builtins (since _aligned_malloc is nonstandard anyway) to ensure your types are appropriately aligned the way you want. Boost might have some allocators prewritten, but they're not hard to build yourself. Of course you have to ensure your types size is appropriate as well, or you can't align it, period, in any contiguous container. Legally.

Are you sure this stuff is a bottleneck? Have you profiled it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement