Sign in to follow this  
Alaskan_wolf197

Were to start?

Umm hello all this is my first day here and I just wanted to ask what type of script thing I should learn for making games. I want to make a variety of games, but the game I want to make the most is the type every one plays, rpg fantasy games were you can choose armors and weopons and all that stuff. But not limited to that, I also want to make fighting games such as jets and what not. Any help would be nice and thank you. -EDIT- I'm going to bed it's 1:16. But I would really enjoy some feed back on were to begin on how to make easy simple games and what thing to use for it (c, c++, java, etc...) I want to know a good path to build up to the rpg, g'night. [Edited by - Alaskan_wolf197 on July 8, 2007 4:02:41 AM]

chipmeisterc    268
I'm not sure if this is an entirely serious post, and if it is perhaps you should consider using the search tools on this forum as this seems to be a weekly topic, failing that there are hundreds of resources on the internet dedicated to this very issue.

Firstly, you will not be able to make the games which you desire straight away, In fact I think it would be very optimistic for even the experienced members of the forum to single handedly try and create a MMORPG.

Your first few games will suck and you probably wont even finish them. Learning to develop games is a very long journey, there are a variety of different skills involved and a variety of different disciplines.

If you are still not put off by this and think you have the patience to learn how to program...we all had to start from somewhere :) Then I have the following suggestions for you. ( Although I have to question your passion to make games when you don't even search this forum / internet for similar topics? )

If you really want to try your hand at making games then I would strongly recommend Conitec's 3D Game Studio. Their software has useful coding templates to allow you to quickly knock up games and learn the work flow which is used in game development without having to get buried in code. Once you have got your head around this you can then try your hand at learning their C-Script language, to develop your own game mechanics. This language has a similar syntax to C++ which will help you in the long run.

If you are struggling to grasp this, I would also recommend looking at Visual Basic as this isn't quite so hard ( but not tailored specifically for games )

I started out with both of these 5 years ago and now I am developing games professionally so it is possible, but it is a long journey, one which I am by no means nearing the end of..there is a phenomenal amount to learn.

I hope this is of some use to you! Be prepared for lots of "hello world" text applications, lots of headaches and also if your interested in 3d development relearning lots of math!

Good luck!

Chris

Well really any programming language can make a game. As long as you can take user input and send some output to a screen or something of the like, you're a goer!

But you can also by-pass the whole programming scene and jump right into a game creation studio. Check these ones out, I have used them in the past and they are pretty cool.

RPG Maker
3D Game Studio
DarkBASIC

Have fun!

Remember though, programming will allow you to create a more specific game, but using one of the above game creation studios will allow you to create a game far quicker and far, far easier!

chipmeister, I know that I'm gonna have to start at the bottom and work my way up and it's not gonna be fast, I just want to know the best method to learn the stuff, thank you for your input it will help out loads. Also sorry for not thinking about searching, it was like midnight ish when I started and I was digging holes yesterday for my moms friends cabin foundation and also when swimming for four hours.

chipmeisterc    268

You dont have to apologise to me :) But there is a wealth of information available on this forum, and you would do yourself alot of favours using the search, there's far more talented programmers on here than we can all learn from!

I would definatley recommend looking at 3d game studio then. Im not sure how familiar you are with the whole game development process but with this program you will learn how content is made for games, familiarize yourself with level editors and models editors etc. Although this program is pretty simplified compared to commercial standards the core principles are exactally the same!

Another tip I would suggest when you are learning code is dont get to bogged down trying to remember function names or what they do the most important thing with any language is the syntax ( how code is written and constructed )

If you look at the english language, aslong as you know how to write a sentance and use punctuation you can look up any word in a dictionary and add it to your sentances.

Coding is the same, its not so much remembering the words ( functions ) thats important ( you can look them up in a dictionary - or in coding sence reference documentation ) its how to construct and punctuate the sentances!

Im not sure if you have seen any code yet but hopefully that makes sence.

Good luck!

Chris

yaustar    1022
I agree with chipmeisterc and rpg_code_master in choice of programs. Game Maker is also another possibility.

These programs are a great introduction in constructing games without having to get too bogged done in programming and allow you to see results relatively quickly. After you out grow the program, you may consider moving on to a more specific area of games development such as games modding, programming, modelling, etc.

Remember to start small and work your way up.