• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Questions regarding multiplayer action games

This topic is 3971 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm new to multiplayer programming, and I'm planning to build a 2D multiplayer action game (with entities and projectiles) as a start. I got critical questions in mind that I can't yet solve: 1a. What logic do multiplayer action games such as CS, Doom, Quake commonly use? -b. What's their pseudo-code / logic? -c. What should be sent to the server? -d. What should the client receive? -e. How is entity update being done? -f. How do you update the state of the projectiles (rockets / missiles)? -g. Where can I find a document that describes such multiplayer system? I think I found one on the internet a long time ago, but I have forgotten the link to that document. 2. Where do I find a tutorial for newbies on designing such multiplayer systems? 3. In most cases, it seems favorable for me to have multiple threads access a single FIFO data structure in order to allow for asynchronous events to happen independent of each other. Often times, I always have the fear that my program would break if 2 or more threads try to read/write to this FIFO data structure at the same time. Is this the case? If it is, what steps should I take to prevent it from happening?

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!