Computer Science

Started by
20 comments, last by Moe 16 years, 9 months ago
ok here's the deal, i'm 22, started getting into programming about 3 months ago and its going pretty well, i'm retaking some high school courses this summer and continuing till the spring to get my grades up for university. i'm planning on applying for a conputer science program, i've got a couple of questions. 1. what does the typical computer science program cover? hardware? software, languages? all of the above and more? 2. what would be a good book or 2 to get a head start on computer science? since i don't plan on attending university till fall 08, i feel like alot of the information would be good for me to pick up in the near future, plus i'd like to go in with a good understanding of what i'm doing. 3.after finishing a computer science degree, how equipted are you to enter the work force in either game or software development\programming? would you require additional training or would you know the majority of stuff you need to at least get started in the field? thanks
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Advertisement
Quote:Original quote by Edsger W. Dijkstra
Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes.

CS deals mainly with the theoretical side of computation theory: designing algorithms, evaluating the complexity of algorithms, proving the correctness of algorithms, proving that some algorithms cannot exist (undecidability, semi-decidability, complexity classes), mathematical representations of common objects (including discrete mathematics, graph theory, hoare logic, monoids) and several similar domains.

I suggest the books:
Introduction to Algorithms (Cormen, Leiserson, Rivest, Stein)
Gödel, Escher, Bach (Hofstadter)
Quote:Original post by ToohrVyk
Quote:Original quote by Edsger W. Dijkstra
Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes.

CS deals mainly with the theoretical side of computation theory: designing algorithms, evaluating the complexity of algorithms, proving the correctness of algorithms, proving that some algorithms cannot exist (undecidability, semi-decidability, complexity classes), mathematical representations of common objects (including discrete mathematics, graph theory, hoare logic, monoids) and several similar domains.

I suggest the books:
Introduction to Algorithms (Cormen, Leiserson, Rivest, Stein)
Gödel, Escher, Bach (Hofstadter)

thanks alot, what foundation would i need for those 2 books to make sense?

proramming experience?
advanced math?
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
I would like to recommend this book.
Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications: And Its Applications
by Kenneth H. Rosen.

I found this book to be extremley useful through out a number of different classes. It just about sums up computer science pretty well I think.
The first book requires some basic mathematics knowledge (nothing above log-exp level). The second one requires sturdy brain cells.
sorry to sound really dumb, but "log-exp level"?
Quote:Original post by godsenddeath
sorry to sound really dumb, but "log-exp level"?

At the level where you have learned about logarithms and exponential functions.

Another book I would like to recommend is Introduction to the Theory of Computation by Michael Sipser. It requires about the same level of mathematics as Introduction to Algorithms (EDIT: The book itself is a little more mathematical than Introduction to Algorithms so maybe you should start with one of the other books if you aren't that comfortable with math yet).
i'd check to see what modules your course covers. many uni's vary.
I didn't do that much algorithms, networking, embedded systems, and I covered java, c and one module on c++

some uni's do c#.

so my advise check the course in detail first.

p.s. a uni course should teach u everything u need to get into programming/software enginnering.

u need alot more knowledge or/and luck to get into the games industry.

hoe that help man.

later
UF
ok here's the deal, i'm 22, started getting into programming about 3 months ago and its going pretty well, i'm retaking some high school courses this summer and continuing till the spring to get my grades up for university. i'm planning on applying for a conputer science program, i've got a couple of questions.

Sounds like you're taking charge of your life. Congrats.

1. what does the typical computer science program cover? hardware? software, languages? all of the above and more?

My course for my AS covers Math, A language (C++), Intro to Computer Architecture (Hardware), and other things like English and sciences.

2. what would be a good book or 2 to get a head start on computer science? since i don't plan on attending university till fall 08, i feel like alot of the information would be good for me to pick up in the near future, plus i'd like to go in with a good understanding of what i'm doing.

While others can recommend some good books, I have a few of my own. They're not as "high end" but might be useful. One is: "An Object-Oriented Approach to Programming Logic and Design" by Joyce Farrell, and my text book for my C++ course, "C++ Programming: Program Design Including Data Structures, Third Edition" by D.S. Malik

3.after finishing a computer science degree, how equipted are you to enter the work force in either game or software development\programming? would you require additional training or would you know the majority of stuff you need to at least get started in the field?

That is a question for the ages.

thanks

Anytime.

M.
<work in progress>
thanks alot for the help, i looked through the 3 main universities in toronto(i live somewhat close) and 2 of them had alot of details on what courses you take in your first year, so i have alot more info on what classes there are and what specific areas\languages are covered, which seems to be java as a beginner, then c++ then some assembly)

so i guess my follow up question would be, what additional training would i need to get into the game industry afterwards? or would the 5 years(i'm hoping to start a year from now, plus 4 years in school) of working really hard independantly and creating a demo or 2 on my own be sufficant to get a job at a game company?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement