Newbie requesting help!

Started by
6 comments, last by tufflax 16 years, 9 months ago
Hi! Im completely new to programming. Ive never programmed anything at all. Nothing. Nada. So, I read the article about "Where do I start" and stuff, but it didnt help me much. It said "Programm a Tetris game" and then it said: "when you have made a perfect tetris game then do this" but it never told me how to programm a tetris game! It told me to take a class and buy a book, but im not interested at all in doing that. So could anyone tell me the basics, or give me a link to a site that does? and somewhere where I can download a program to programm with... Im really interested in starting with programming and stuff... any help will be much appricieted :) EDIT. oh and im completely retarded when it comes to any programming language, so dont come with any nasty words that I wont understand anyway.
Advertisement
hey!

well, start by picking a computer language to learn. to do this, search a few (python, c++, c, c#, html, and java is what many start with) and see which one you think you'll be most comfortable coding in (read some tutorials).

hope that helps. :D
If your not interested in buying a book, which will help tremendously and you will need to do eventually, google whatever language you want to learn and find some tutorials.

For a "program to program with" you are talking about an IDE (integrated development enviroment). This is a program where you can type your code in the editor, compile it (translate it into something the computer can understand), and link it which connects it with other files. Then your program will execute.

Just a warning, you will not start with tetris, probably a "hello world!" program. And then work your way up in baby steps. Game development is a long hard process, you can't just pick it up and make the most awesome FPS ever.

As for picking a language thats up to you. Most commonly used are C/C++/Python. Reasearch them all and pick which you like. You will probably end up using all three eventually.

Good Luck. Anyone more experienced then me can clarify or correct my statements.
Thanks for the responses so far you two :)
Hi Alvub.

Here's a link to www.python.org, which provides you with both tutorials, and a "program to program in" =)
if ( youreHappyAndYouKnowIt ) clapYourHands;
Ive started using python and im coming along well, and i think its really fun! I found a site where you get a guide that runs you through the basic steps: http://swaroopch.info/text/Byte_of_Python:Main_Page
Its really easy! Good luck to everyone else who tries it out, Im telling you its worth it! :D
Welcome to the GameDev forums, Alvub! First, I recommend learning the basics of C/C++. Then, once you have mastered the easy stuff, bump it up a notch and start learning Allegro, a very easy to use multimedia library. Because you're new to programming, go to cppgameprogramming.com and work your way up from "Basic C++ Lessons" to "Allegro Lessons." Also, download a copy of Dev-C++, a good, free application for writing code. Once you've mastered everything that website teaches you, buy a copy of Game Programming All in One by Jonathan Harbour.

Good luck!
Quote:Of course justice isn't equal. Rich people can afford lawyers, where poor people get McLawyers.
Welcome Alvub!

I wouldn't recommend that you listen to KG_Brad all that much (sorry KG_Brad but that's what I think!). If you like Python (and it sounds as if you do) then stay with that for a while, and avoid C and C++. C and C++ isn't easy, and Dev-C++ isn't good. And don't worry about stuff like "did I choose the right language?" You WILL learn more languages eventually. And besides it's not the language that is important, it's your understanding of programming concepts etc. Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement