Applying a transformation matrix in OpenGL

Started by
12 comments, last by Revelation60 16 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I am creating a 3ds loader and I am having trouble finding the correct way to express the translation matrix of block 4160. The information about this block is:
Quote: 4160 - Translation Matrix This structure describes a matrix for the object. It is stored as a 3 X 4 matrix because it is assumed that the right most column is 0,0,0,1
What command must I use to translate the scene? I've tried, maybe in the wrong way, glMultMatrixf. Thanks!
Currently working on WalledIn
Advertisement
Quote:4160 - Translation Matrix

This structure describes a matrix for the object.
It is stored as a 3 X 4 matrix because it is assumed that
the right most column is 0,0,0,1
That doesn't seem right - if it's a 3x4 affine transform matrix, it should be the bottom row (not the right-most column) that's assumed to be identity.

Are you sure the docs didn't say '4x3'?
It seems to be correct this way. Another doc says the following:

Quote:
Local axis info.
The three first blocks of three floats are the definition
(in the absolute axis) of the local axis X Y Z of the object.
And the last block of three floats is the local center of the object.

But how can I apply such a matrix in OpenGL?
Quote:But how can I apply such a matrix in OpenGL?
I'm guessing something like the following will work:
float glm[16] = { 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1 };// 'm' is the 3ds matrixglm[0 ] = m[0 ];glm[1 ] = m[1 ];glm[2 ] = m[2 ];glm[4 ] = m[3 ];glm[5 ] = m[4 ];glm[6 ] = m[5 ];glm[8 ] = m[6 ];glm[9 ] = m[7 ];glm[10] = m[8 ];glm[12] = m[9 ];glm[13] = m[10];glm[14] = m[11];glMultMatrixf(glm); // Or whatever...
Unfortunately, that doens't work. All the objects are shattered around the room :(
Quote:Original post by Revelation60
Unfortunately, that doens't work. All the objects are shattered around the room :(
Well, that could mean:

1. Your implementation is incorrect
2. The information you have about the 3ds matrix format is wrong
3. My example was wrong

I would bet on no. 1 being the most likely, followed by no. 2, and then no. 3. If you're not sure about no. 1, you might post some of your code so that we can see what you're doing.
Well,

This is the code I use to load the information:

Quote:
for (int i=0;i<4;i++)
for (int j=0;j<3;j++)
{
pPreviousChunk->bytesRead += fread(&(pObject->localMatrix[j]), 1, sizeof (float), m_FilePointer);
}

pObject->localMatrix [0][3]=0;
pObject->localMatrix [1][3]=0;
pObject->localMatrix [2][3]=0;
pObject->localMatrix [3][3]=1;

And this is the code to multiply the matrix:

Quote:
glMultMatrixf(&m3DModel.pObject.localMatrix[0][0]);

I am trying to search code that does about the same, and I saw in one example that the localMatrix got inverted. I tried to do that (note that I don't know a lot abot matrices), but that didn't give good results. :(

Also leaving the pObject->localMatrix [0][3]=0; part out didn't help.
Hmmm......you shouldn't be using a 2-dimensional matrix to store the object's position. OpenGL assumes that each of the 16 elements are perfectly adjacent in memory, and a 2-dimensional matrix is not. Try changing your code to use a 1-dimensional matrix and make sure to reference the indexes correctly when loading the values. Also make sure that the last value in your matrix, m[15], is 1.
Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org
Making it a 1D array gave no other results. Are you sure I don't need to change the matrix before handing it to OpenGL?
What happens when you only place a single object in the scene and export to 3ds and try to load it in your app? Is that object simply reflected across the z-axis?

Also keep in mind that 3dsmax uses the z-axis for up and down, and the y-axis for into and out of the viewport. So you will need to perform a 90 degree rotation around the x-axis.
Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement