Indie Questions

Started by
10 comments, last by Tom Sloper 16 years, 9 months ago
If I'm looking to start an independent game development team, and payments would be in profit splitting, how can I get the IP of someone's work (with the team positioned around the world)? I've heard that publishers need to know that you own the idea before they'll accept an idea.
Advertisement
Generally publishers won't accept ideas at all, at least Tom says so. This guy knows what he's talking about though.

As for how to get the IP, you need to have them license or sign their contributions over to you. You'll likely need a lawyer for this. (Oh, and IANAL, btw ;)
Whoops, I meant to say game or demo.
Quote:Original post by Kenny77
Whoops, I meant to say game or demo.

Okay, then... do you want to just start over and ask your question again? Because now I don't know what your question is. (^_^) <- That means I'm not here to hurt you, I'm just looking for a "good" question from you.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If I'm looking to start an independent game development team, and payments would be in profit splitting, how can I get the IP of someone's work...
You would need to get an experienced IP lawyer to draw up an assignment of rights. The easiest thing to do is have this as a clause in the general contract you sign with each of the developers.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
What I mean is, I've heard that publishers want assurance that you own the IP to your game, but how can I get it if the other team members are positioned around the world?
Write up a good employment contract. Or, if the team members are not employees, write up a good participation contract with assignment of rights. If the team members want their work to be published, and to share in the profits, then they'll need to contractually contribute their rights to the project.

[Edited by - tsloper on July 9, 2007 11:01:58 AM]

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

What I mean is, I've heard that publishers want assurance that you own the IP to your game, but how can I get it if the other team members are positioned around the world?
And I answered your question - get a lawyer to write a contract.

www.obscure.co.uk
Quote:Original post by Obscure

I think he was clarifying his question for tsloper.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Quote:Original post by Calin
Quote:Original post by Obscure

I think he was clarifying his question for tsloper.
Possibly but the clarified question WAS the one I had answered already (as Tom had). The OP wants to undertake a legal transaction of whatever form in order to secure IP rights. They need an IP lawyer for that.
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement