Sign in to follow this  
nullsquared

Correctly transforming view in accordance to a surface?

EDIT: TEST EDIT! Hello all! Say that I have a surface, A. It is rotated and positioned randomly. Now, I have a surface, B. It is just like A, except with a different rotation and position, obviously. I also have a viewpoint, C. Now, my question is, how can I position and orient C with relativity to B, the way it is relative to A? Basically, I want to recreate the same view from C to A, but from C to B, by moving and rotating C. But my problem is, I can't figure out how to mathematically do so... (math has never been my strong point...) Ideas? Thanks in advance! [Edited by - agi_shi on August 23, 2007 11:41:56 AM]

I'm going to guess you're looking for something like the following:
[ A is the transform matrix for the first surface ]
[ B is the transform matrix for the second surface ]
[ C is the transform (not view) matrix for the camera ]

We are first looking for M, the matrix that represents the transform of
the camera relative to the first surface (we'll assume column-vector convention):

AM = C
M = A-1C

Having solved for M, we can now compute C' (the desired camera transform):

C' = BM

Or:

C' = BA-1C
I didn't proofread that very carefully, but I'm pretty sure it's correct.

Quote:
Original post by jyk
I'm going to guess you're looking for something like the following:
[ A is the transform matrix for the first surface ]
[ B is the transform matrix for the second surface ]
[ C is the transform (not view) matrix for the camera ]

We are first looking for M, the matrix that represents the transform of
the camera relative to the first surface (we'll assume column-vector convention):

AM = C
M = A-1C

Having solved for M, we can now compute C' (the desired camera transform):

C' = BM

Or:

C' = BA-1C
I didn't proofread that very carefully, but I'm pretty sure it's correct.

Wow, thanks a bunch!

There seems to be a minor problem though, and it's entirely my fault. I did not explain myself (sorry, I usually leave out critical details [sad]).

I'm trying to get the camera to the back of the second surface... The same relativity as to the front of the first one, but relative to the back of the second one.

Here's an image to describe what I mean... sometimes images are my best details [grin]:
descrip.
I'm try to get the "non-crossed-out" C prime.

Ideas?

Would rotating the second surface by 180 degrees (on the y-axis) before using its transformation matrix do this? Or do matrices not work like that ?

Quote:
Original post by agi_shi
Would rotating the second surface by 180 degrees (on the y-axis) before using its transformation matrix do this?
Yeah, that seems like it should work. You can always give it a try and find out :-)

Quote:
Original post by jyk
Quote:
Original post by agi_shi
Would rotating the second surface by 180 degrees (on the y-axis) before using its transformation matrix do this?
Yeah, that seems like it should work. You can always give it a try and find out :-)

Good point there, I should've just tried it [grin]. Anyways, it works exactly as planned! Thanks a great bunch!

Quote:
Original post by agi_shi
EDIT: TEST EDIT!

Hello all!

Say that I have a surface, A. It is rotated and positioned randomly.

Now, I have a surface, B. It is just like A, except with a different rotation and position, obviously.

I also have a viewpoint, C.

Now, my question is, how can I position and orient C with relativity to B, the way it is relative to A?

Basically, I want to recreate the same view from C to A, but from C to B, by moving and rotating C. But my problem is, I can't figure out how to mathematically do so... (math has never been my strong point...)

Ideas? Thanks in advance!

grhodes_at_work test - testing quote/reply...

I have a very similar question - what if I wanted to transform a direction the same way? I want it to point to B the same way it pointed to A. Would it be basically the same thing? Any quick mock-up to get me started (unless it's the exact same thing)?

EDIT: Thanks for fixing the topic, grhodes_at_work [smile].