Sign in to follow this  
celios

OpenGL How to upgrade OpenGL version

Hi. This question is probably too basic for this OpenGL forum. If I should have posted this on the beginner's side, please tell me. I need to render NPOT textures. People have been saying I need OpenGL 2.0. Unfortunately after checking glGetString(GL_VERSION), I found out that the card I am using currently supports OpenGL 1.5.7. Is there any way to upgrade ? I have used pretty new driver, so I doubt that merely upgrading driver would upgrade the OpenGL. Thanks, Celios

Upgrading drivers are the way you do it. What card do you have? It could be the case that your hardware doesn't support anything more than that.

depends on the hardware
eg even though a gforcefx has gl2.0 if u try to use a NPOT texture (it will work) but will be very slow as its in software (u can use texture_rectangle though)

texture rectangle is probably your best bet for NPOTS, there are 2 extensions (both work the same, just use different names):

GL_ARB_texture_rectangle see http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/texture_rectangle.txt

and GL_NV_texture_rectangle, see
http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/NV/texture_rectangle.txt

on even pretty old nVidia hardware both should be fine (don't know about ATI or Intel though)

Thanks for all the replies.

The card is nVIDIA Quadro FX3000G but it seems pretty old.
I know my company has had it for at least 3 years.

Driver is the second newest to the latest one.

Guess I would have to go with the extension.

"on even pretty old nVidia hardware both should be fine (don't know about ATI or Intel though)"

On ATI, 9500 and up, GL 2.0 is supported and drivers have been supporting GL_ARB_texture_rectangle for a long time.

Even better, you can use NPOT of core GL 2.0
That means making a GL_TEXTURE_2D and as long as you don't make mipmaps and so on, it will be fast. I beleive nVidia doesn't work that way which complicates matters.