Sign in to follow this  

Technology question

This topic is 3815 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm in the process of planning a web game and wanted to get some input on the best way to approach my idea. The idea is a fairly simple online web rpg with an emphasis on simplicity and accessibility. The combat is turn based with simple actions and no movement (tactical and visual), imagine something similar to Final Fantasy but you can only act when the opposing turn ends. I created 2 mockups using published game art, this is just an example, I am not using anyone's art except my own (which will be in a similar style.) This first shot shows the combat screen, the player is on the bottom left and he is joined by two other players above him. The numbers represent the total hitpoints and current hitpoints. Below this combat screen would be a short list of 5-7 abilities you could perform and a chat window so you could talk to the two other players with you. To attack a monster, you would click the monster graphic, then ability buttons until you ran out of action points. Your turn would end and the monster would attack/flee,etc. example 1 I would like to do this without Flash for maximum portability. I broke this image up into a table or frames. Each character sits in his cell as a transparent gif and the background is two elements, the road and city front. The hitpoint text would use a system font and align to the bottom of the character image. example 2 I'm not a programmer so this process chart is very simple: *Client selects target in web page by clicking on a monster graphic *Client clicks on an action button that contains an action cost and effect *Target, action cost and effect are sent to the server *Server determines the result of the action *Server sends action result, updates the state of the monster (if needed) and updates the action cost pool *Client displays action result in the form of text (You hit monster for 2 dmg!), updates monster state if needed (hitpoints) and displays a newly calculated action pool (if the pool was 20 before the action was performed, the remainder would be displayed now) *When client's turn ends, the server runs the actions for the enemies and updates the client after each action. I would probably limit the action pool in a way where you would not be sending more than 4 server requests per round. The big questions - How practical is this with CSS, javascript, PHP or anything the server can run? Is it worth sacrificing accessibility to use Flash because it would be superior? I know a lot of web games use action points that regenerate at a very slow rate to limit play time. Is this because servers would get hammered? To me the amount of data transfer is significantly lower than a game sending back constant updates about location in 3D space, etc. Thanks for any comments or advice on this matter.

You seem to believe Flash is a barrier to accessibility. I don't think it is a significant barrier, at least not compared to the alternatives for the client side (CSS+javascript, etc.). I'd be more worried about how (if? What does the user experience gain from being online?) you set up communication with the server.

This topic is 3815 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.