Sign in to follow this  
Degorath

Bubble Bobble (Reinventable?)

Do any of you remember the game Bubble Bobble? It had two little dragons (blue and green) doing single screen levels (about 100 of them) And you had to catch monsters in bubbles? Anyway, I started work on a similar type of game. Bubble Bobble was pretty awesome but I would like to know if anyone (who remembers the game) has any ideas that they think would improve it. For one I would like to implement MANY more types of power-ups and allow your creature to keep power ups through the levels so that monsters may be made stronger later in the game. Anything else? ....

New Power Ups?
- Forward and backwards bubbles... don't ask where they shoot from.
- Extra Jump/Double jump, the original never added jump height
- Thrown bubbles, or angled ala, puzzle bubble.

New Enemies?
- Ones that shoot the lightning that stuns, one that can shoot water to wash away. Not lethal on it's own, but a hinderance.

New Features?
- Wrappable levels. BB2 had this, so it's not so new.
- Movable platforms, up and down and side to side

Nostalga Connection?
- Rainbow Island enemies. Monster/Toy/Tank/Dragon/Arkanoid ... etc

That's all I got for now.

The idea that monsters become stronger in later levels made me think about what could be made stronger, since the game is pretty straight forward.

1) The enemies could become faster, more intelligent and most can attack back (not just the 2-3 types that always could in the original)

2) Make it so that the monsters have HP, they could require many bubble breaks to harm them, or require many bubbles to reach them to get caught in one. Each bubble that reach a monster could slow it by a small amount for a certain time, if the player was unable to get - let's say 3 - bubbles on the monster in that certain time, the bubble count is reset and the player must again shoot 3 bubble at it to capture it in a bubble.

3) Add traps to the levels, roots (get stuck for x seconds), snares (slowed for x seconds), missiles shooting walls, etc.

That's all I can think of. I've seen the game get remade for the PC, but it didn't incorporate anything new, but if you can add some stuff like that, it'd be so cool, it was such a nice game ( and full of love, if you ever made it to the true ending :) ) .

Hope this helps you think about new things to add to the game.

P.S. Isn't that topic more of a design topic than a programming one?...

Thanks for the ideas Exam and B&E, I can really use those. And yes I didn't really know where to put this thread...Game Design would have been better.

possible features:

1.Give player a title base on the performance

e.g.
-always capture monster over a long distance -> Sniper
-always kill a monster from the back -> Assassinator

2.Chain the Hit (just like FF12):
if player capture monsters consecutively without miss, reward player in some ways.

3.Status Effect ?

4.Special Monsters that can fire bubble like players char.
When you are being captured, your partner can rescue you by performing particular action such as killing the special monster.

You could throw out the one-screen level restriction and replace it with a level format of your choice (scroller, connected rooms like an adventure game, etc). Maybe even just a megaman-like selection from among the currently accessible areas.