Compiler Project

Started by
12 comments, last by Ravuya 16 years, 9 months ago
I started a compiler project last fall, with the purpose of manually writing a compiler for a procedural language which was self-invented. It's about 80% complete, and I'm wondering if anyone would have any interest in seeing the finished product. I'm unsure as to whether I plan on finishing it.
Check out Drunken Brawl at http://www.angelfire.com/games6/drunken_brawl!
Advertisement
I guess that would depend on the features of the language.
Why would anyone use it when there is so many others already out there that have much better documentation and an established community? What do you offer that is better then other languages of it's kind?
Probably nothing.

Just the fact that I sat down and wrote the whole thing witout the use of a compiler compiler or any such tools.
Quote:Original post by gamechampionx
Probably nothing.

Just the fact that I sat down and wrote the whole thing witout the use of a compiler compiler or any such tools.

If you can't find a single way in which your language is better than existing languages, then people probably won't use it. What tools you chose to write the compiler doesn't really matter to the user of the compiler.

You might still consider finishing anyway though, since you might learn a lot about finishing a product. If it was me I would probably finish the project, but if you don't think it's better than current languages, then just do it as a learning exercise.
Quote:Original post by CTar
If you can't find a single way in which your language is better than existing languages, then people probably won't use it.

Well, there ARE people programming in brainf**k! =)

Quote:Original post by Trillian
Well, there ARE people programming in brainf**k! =)

The brainf**k language has one feature that was essential for its "success" which is an extremely obscure syntax. There exists hundreds of esoteric languages yet very few actually gain the fame of brainf**k because they don't have any additional features that brainf**k doesn't.

Brainf**k is better than most languages before it at forcing the programmer to express very simple programs in complex terms.
Quote:Original post by gamechampionx
I started a compiler project last fall, with the purpose of manually writing a compiler for a procedural language which was self-invented.

It's about 80% complete, and I'm wondering if anyone would have any interest in seeing the finished product. I'm unsure as to whether I plan on finishing it.

Finish it. It doesn't matter that no one will use it, a finished project is something you can brag about in a job interview. An unfinished project is one that you probably shouldn't mention.

If time is an issue then I could understand why you may stop when you're so close to the finish line.

Personally I would like to see such a project just to get a better understanding of compiler theory. I tried to make a script engine once and I got stuck on expression parsing (I still think I need to learn how to do that properly) and quite. When I was trying to learn how to do it most resources I found kept pointing at compiler compiler's and I didn't want non-stl compliant code let alone C code.

If you don't finish then I graciously request that you write a tutorial on writing an expression parser.
Programming since 1995.
The expression-parsing was the part of the project that took the most planning and also held most of the "power" of the project. Once that was working, I knew things were going right.

I'm actually quite satisfied with myself after writing something that both parses expressions including order of operations, function calls, and all that and does full error-reporting on top of everything. This is why I think my project might be worth looking at as a learning opportunity, even if the language it parses is somewhat dumb. Writing a YACC or CUP complier just doesn't compare to this kinda of accomplishment in my books.
I would be interested. Just to see what goes into creating a compiler :-)
-durfy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement