Endless Visual C++ 2005 problems...

Started by
16 comments, last by Evil Steve 16 years, 9 months ago
I download MSVC 2005 from microsoft but when i click on new project i cant create a dll or a Windows Application project so I searched the microsoft site and found i had to download some other 400mb thing to be able to make dlls and windows applications. I also had to go into some config file and change it to allow me to make dlls and windows appications. That was the least of my worries. If i dont select a precompiled header and i use #include <windows.h> i get an error saying nb40.h(or nb30.h cant remember) can only be used in windows application but my project is a windows application. Have i done something wrong? If i have how can i fix it? Thanks
Advertisement
Yes, you need the PlatformSDK to do lots of "useful" stuff with the Express Edition. That's normal.

Otherwise it sounds like the normal process of getting any programmer tool to work properly. Programmers like lots of options so they can do 1000s of different things. It's just the nature of our domain to use complicated tools that require effort to set up properly.

-me
Thanks but is there a way to not have to include "stdafx.h"?
Quote:Original post by hahaha
Thanks but is there a way to not have to include "stdafx.h"?

Go to the project menu and at the bottom there will be <name of project> properties...
Under configuration properties, under c/c++ there is a bit for precompiled headers just select "Not Using Precompiled Headers" and you shouldn't need to include stdafx.h.
The easiest way is to tell MSVC to create an empty project for you instead of just clicking "Ok" all the way through the project wizard.
Thanks i did that but it then says <windows.h> can only be used in a windows application with this error:
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\nb30.h(4) : fatal error C1189: #error : nb30.h can only be used in a Win32 Application
but i dont include nb30.h???
Before you can choose to make an empty project, you must choose whether to make a Win32 project, a Win32 console project etc. Which did you choose?
-------------Please rate this post if it was useful.
I select win32 and takes me to a win32 application wizard. It says the current project settings are Console Project. I chose next instead of finish. Then there is a header asking for an application type and i chose Windows Application and i checked empty project
anyone?
Sounds like you did not install the Platform SDK properly. nb30.h deals with NetBIOS stuff.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement