DirectSound and C++

Started by
3 comments, last by ThreeDParadox 16 years, 9 months ago
Why are there no tutorials on the internet for DirectSound and c++??? all i can seem to find is managed DS with VB or C#. Im looking for some in depth tutorials on DirectSound. Heres what we are doing My and my coding partner were given a project by our school, were making a racing simulation game(street racing). They bought us an expensive chair http://vrx.ca/products_pro.php theres the link to it. The thing is, it has a lot of high end sound features, such as a "buttkicker" installed in it for sound vibration, and surround sound. Being that they spent the extra money for all of this we HAVE to have quality sound, and need a way to modify the sounds within the game (pitch, speed, volume, etc...). From what we have read, DirectSound is really our only option, but we cant find anything on it. Does anyone know in depth tutorials or maybe a really good book we could get for DirectSound and c++. Also, if anyone knows where we can get sounds for our game(engine noises, tires screeching, crash sounds, etc..) we are also having trouble finding these. Any help would be GREATLY appriciated.
Advertisement
If you don't need to write everyting yourself, I would advice you to use FMOD, especially since it's free for non-commercial use. It will save you a *lot* of time.
we have a pretty sophisticated sound class in our engine. perhaps the biggest improvement came from learning how to duplicate sound buffers for good performance. e-mail me at programmer_tom@hotmail.com and i'll send you a few functions to get you started.

-programmer_tom
If you really must do it yourself then you will be wanting the following book:
DirectX-Audio-Exposed
thanks for the help. I think we will go with FMOD. Does anyone know where to get some good sounds for a racing game?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement