Sign in to follow this  
Zero_Racer

[web] Help me find a good host

Zero_Racer    122
hello, i was wondering if anyone could point me out to a good host for my website. Its for my guild so they can look at some information, maybe have a forum in there too, i dont think alot of people will be going on it. I really dont know what to look for, how much Space there should be and bandwidth for trafic.

Alan Kemp    772
You don't mention if you are willing to pay for hosting or not. If you are, I've been using powweb for a couple of years and have had a pretty good experience with them.

Mathachew    352
Might as well give you more options and throw Dreamhost into the mix. I've had a great experience since moving all of my websites to them earlier this year and their support has been awesome.

They also don't charge extra fees for DNS Services, which I found some at $5.95 per year.

Zero_Racer    122
thanks alot for the response. Sorry for not mentioning it but yes im willing to pay. Im going to take a look at each site and see what plans they have, again thanks alot.

ddyer    262
Disk, Memory, Bandwidth and so on are probably irrelevant for
a starter site - your needs will be minimal at first, and by
the time your needs are not minimal, you'll have a much better
idea what you need.

Question #1 is will you need to install your own software. Lots
of low end sites will let you install static web pages and have
a suite of standard software available, but that's the end of it.
If you don't need to install your own software, then a very cheap
site may be just the ticket. At this level of hosting, windows
or unix is probably not relevant.

If you do need to install software, either your own or
someone else's package, a low end virtal private server
is probably a good way to start; no matter what your eventual
requirements will be. These are available for both mac and
windows.

Mathachew    352
I don't have time to give a full review, but um... white text with white background for your buttons? Bad move man. Don't make the user's think, "What did I just mouse over?" Having all your links have maroon text with black backgrounds seems a bit silly since you're got these black square background on top of sometimes light gray, sometimes dark gray areas. Also, if you're going to use XHTML, use it properly (hint: install the Web Developer and HTML tidy extensions in Firefox).

Zero_Racer    122
thanks for hints, i fixed the color problem, but i dont understand the hint you gave.

Original post by Mathachew
Quote:
(hint: install the Web Developer and HTML tidy extensions in Firefox).

Mathachew    352
Those are two Firefox extensions that help you improve on your site. You're declaring that the site is XHTML Transitional, however, if you try to validate it, it will fail. HTML Validator, (which has HTML Tidy in it, I had the names mixed) will tell if a page has any HTML errors and/or warnings. In your case, the home page has 4 warnings and as such, is not valid XHTML code. The Web Developer extension offers a lot in way of debugging tools for your website.

I consider the above two essential for any web designer/developer since they are well made tools that only make your job easier. There's also the Firebug extension for debugging javascript, another great tool.

[smile]