[web] Help me find a good host

Started by
13 comments, last by Zero_Racer 16 years, 8 months ago
hello, i was wondering if anyone could point me out to a good host for my website. Its for my guild so they can look at some information, maybe have a forum in there too, i dont think alot of people will be going on it. I really dont know what to look for, how much Space there should be and bandwidth for trafic.
Advertisement
You don't mention if you are willing to pay for hosting or not. If you are, I've been using powweb for a couple of years and have had a pretty good experience with them.
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour
I recently switched to OCS Solutions and have been pleased so far.
You can't beat Lunarpages.com for cheap shared hosting with TONS of storage and bandwidth. The $6.99/mo plan comes with something like 3500GB monthly transfer and 350GB storage. The service is great.
Id like to recommend Host Gator. Loads of storage and bandwith, excellent control panel and best of all, stupidly good customer support. Their online chat is also particuarly good for quick questions.
Might as well give you more options and throw Dreamhost into the mix. I've had a great experience since moving all of my websites to them earlier this year and their support has been awesome.

They also don't charge extra fees for DNS Services, which I found some at $5.95 per year.
thanks alot for the response. Sorry for not mentioning it but yes im willing to pay. Im going to take a look at each site and see what plans they have, again thanks alot.
Can't believe nobody mentioned BlueHost. www.bluehost.com

Mark A. Drake
OnSlaught Games
Mark Drake
Disk, Memory, Bandwidth and so on are probably irrelevant for
a starter site - your needs will be minimal at first, and by
the time your needs are not minimal, you'll have a much better
idea what you need.

Question #1 is will you need to install your own software. Lots
of low end sites will let you install static web pages and have
a suite of standard software available, but that's the end of it.
If you don't need to install your own software, then a very cheap
site may be just the ticket. At this level of hosting, windows
or unix is probably not relevant.

If you do need to install software, either your own or
someone else's package, a low end virtal private server
is probably a good way to start; no matter what your eventual
requirements will be. These are available for both mac and
windows.

---visit my game site http://www.boardspace.net - free online strategy games

Thanks for the help guys, i ended up going with Lunarpages.

Here is the site i made from all the references here and many others on the web, let me know what you think.
Apexls-ffxi.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement