Sign in to follow this  
UnknownMonkeyman

Need Help Getting Started

I'm having a problem getting started. I don't think I installed the SDK correctly. When I installed it to c:\dxsdk it just had a bunch of ZIP files with their release dates on them. I just unzipped them all to that directory in chronological order and overwrote any of the repeat files. I configured my Visual C++ software according to http://www.eastcoastgames.com/directx/intro.html, but when I tried the sample code on that same page, it compiled without a problem, but when I tested it, the screen just flashes black for a second and comes back. I think I configured the compiler correctly, but I don't think I installed the SDK correctly at all...can anyone help me out here? EDIT: Now that I think of it, I don't think I have the right SDK. The SDK's seem to be 400-500+ MB and what I downloaded was only 50, so maybe those were a bunch of update patches meant for it already being installed on the computer.

jpetrie    13104
Yea, it sounds like you downloaded the wrong thing. The SDK usually installs itself pretty completely, it might even set up the VS paths for you (I forget, it's been a while).

jollyjeffers    1570
I concur with jpetrie.

Quote:
Original post by UnknownMonkeyman
EDIT: Now that I think of it, I don't think I have the right SDK. The SDK's seem to be 400-500+ MB and what I downloaded was only 50, so maybe those were a bunch of update patches meant for it already being installed on the computer.
I'm not aware of any official 50mb downloads, but you can occasionally find some dodgy copies of older SDK's where 3rd parties have stripped parts out...

msdn.microsoft.com/directx/sdk/ should always redirect to the download page for the latest version (currently June '07 weighing in at a mere 451mb [oh]).

hth
Jack

Yeah...way ahead of ya. But for future reference...when a newer version of the SDK comes out...can I just download a patch? Or do I have to download a whole new thing again for another 400+ MB a pop?

Well I downloaded and installed the real SDK w/o a problem in that area, but I'm still having the same problem where the screen just flashes black for a second when I test my code. I think I might've set up the DirectX settings to the compiler wrong. Can someone just explain to me what they did to get there's to work?