Wiki-based design documents- examples?

Started by
3 comments, last by Durfy 16 years, 9 months ago
So I'm a total game design newbie apart from some casual mod making in the past. Right now I'm working on refining an idea for a relatively small and simple game (that may or may not ever get made, who knows) and I'm looking for the best way to document it. I started simply writing up a doc in Google Docs, but happened to read somewhere that a lot of places nowadays are taking a Wiki-based approach. Does anyone have any examples of how a Wiki-as-Design-Document would be organized? I've set up a basic MediaWiki, but am totally lost as to what the best way is to make a design doc out of it. I was going to just make new pages for major sections of my Google Docs document, but I'm not sure if that's the ideal route or not. Thoughts? Thanks!
Advertisement
When multiple people are working on a game, a wiki is usefull because it allows people to always have access to the most up-to-date version of the design doc. If you're working alone, and if Google Docs works fine for you, then don't bother with wiki's for now. Ok, try it to see if works better for you, but if it doesn't, then stick with Google Docs.

These things are tools after all, not goals. It's good to know multiple tools, so you can pick the best one for the job, but it's useless to chase new tools because other people use them. Learn why people use the tools they use, and see if those reasons apply to your situation or not.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
We have one at my job but its confidential :'(
-durfy
Thanks, I did end up porting my information over myself. I just went with a structure that makes the most sense to me. I'm building it under the assumption that there could be multiple people involved in the future, so I think the Wiki should work well. It also makes it easy to bring in concept art and other sorts of media for reference.
Yeah... theres also nice templates for wikis so you dont have to format it ie with headers and such every page :-)
-durfy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement