• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rymoholiko

OpenGL Frame buffer(llike opengl) with alpha blending dx9

This topic is 4028 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I'm trying to rewrite cloud system from opengl to dx9 http://www.gamedev.net/columns/hardcore/cloudrendering/ My problem is lightCloud() function. I don't know how to programm shading :) How it works in opengl? A white texture (cloud size) is created. Then particles (from those nearest sun to those farest) are placed on texture. Every particle shades a little bit the "white texture". After placing particle we count it's new color (particle color+color of background) and remember it in particle structure. In this way we have a "ray tracing". Any idea how to do this kind of texture with multiblending...where i would be able to place every texture of particle..in special place..and than read the color? Dx9 with hlsl would be nice :) Thx for help

Advertisement
I don't think you need HLSL for this.

If you haven't had much D3D experience, I'd suggest doing this in small stages, learning one technique at a time, such as drawing the particles (using an ID3DXSprite or point sprites or quads), alpha blending, and reading the back buffer data (using GetRenderTargetData).

Once you have everything working, you should probably be able to speed it up using shaders. That may be a good time to learn HLSL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!