change BIOS to allow overclocking

Started by
2 comments, last by Promit 16 years, 9 months ago
Hi, my fried asked me to help him do some overclocking on his system, but we soon found out that his current BIOS wont let him do that. I noticed that there are BIOS updates and I downloaded one of them to see where the actual BIOS is. Its a .bin format file 512 kb in size. I was thinking maybe its possible for me to dissassemble the file and add some functions that will allow overclocking. I understand that this requires a lot of knowledge about the hardware and I dont want to fry my firiends CPU and stuff, but is this physically possible to install a hacked version of BIOS? Thanks

You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here. -Alan Watts

Advertisement
Of course it is possible. Is it a sensible thing to do to a friend's computer when you've never done it to any other computer?
Quote:Original post by Mastaba
Of course it is possible. Is it a sensible thing to do to a friend's computer when you've never done it to any other computer?

I might try it out on the BIOS on my comp first, and then on his, because I'm actually intrigued by this idea, this is like pure hardware interaction that I'd have to deal with, which is likely to be fun =D

You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here. -Alan Watts

Moved to Hardware.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement