A reasonably good all-rounders Game API/Engine.

Started by
1 comment, last by Zerox Millienium 16 years, 9 months ago
I would like to know if there is any reasonably good game API/engine that is suitable to make a multi-player game with first person view in 3D? I have looked at the Alternate Game Libraries section and found stuffs where several components are better off stand-alone. I would prefer, as a beginner, to start with something more complete in feature rather than to tinker with different stuffs. Think of it as prototyping the game with a much higher level engine then if I feel comfortable, I'd dig into the more specific details. Any ideas? Thanks in advance?
Advertisement
1) Both words in your user name are misspelled.
2) If you're a beginner, you should be starting smaller. Much smaller. There is no royal road to programming; take baby steps.
3) There are many reasonably good choices. To make a properly informed decision, you would have to be a lot more specific about the game you want to make.
4) "Starting with something more complete in features" is exactly what you *don't* want to do as a beginner, because you will be overwhelmed and won't know where to start. "Tinkering with different stuff" is exactly what you *do* want to do as a beginner, because this is how you learn things.
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
1) Both words in your user name are misspelled.
2) If you're a beginner, you should be starting smaller. Much smaller. There is no royal road to programming; take baby steps.
3) There are many reasonably good choices. To make a properly informed decision, you would have to be a lot more specific about the game you want to make.
4) "Starting with something more complete in features" is exactly what you *don't* want to do as a beginner, because you will be overwhelmed and won't know where to start. "Tinkering with different stuff" is exactly what you *do* want to do as a beginner, because this is how you learn things.

Yes, the words in my user name are sort of misspelled but it wasn't really English or whatever, just some Internet alias I made up a couple of years ago.

I acknowledge your advise about starting small and that, I intend to, and it's really going to be trying to make a small prototype.

If I was supposed to make as small as tetris or tic-tac-toe like some books or articles advised, it's going to be rather distasteful and discouraging to carry out. Well as some of the books or articles have pointed out, this is exactly what's happening to me now ^^.

I forget to mention I have a couple of years (not very advanced) experience for a handful of programming languages. My current forte is C# though, but I can do C/C++/Java pretty well. I enjoyed working with C++ although it's not like C# with all those rich core library stuffs and garbage collector.

In some ways, I'm pretty confident that I can handle a small prototype, I have another friend who's coming up with a game design. We are working together to complete the design first before we get our hands dirty with code. On the tech side of things, we probably want something high-level and easy to use, and thus this post.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement