Sprites. Feedback desired ^_^

Started by
12 comments, last by waru 16 years, 9 months ago
Hey, so these are the first sprites I've made. I know I still have a ways to go in isometric sprite creation, but I wanted to get some feedback on these here sprites. Mainly: Do you think the following would function and entertain in a real live flash game (isometric battle)? What tips do you have to get them there and improve my skills? Would you play a game with sprites about like this? All other random feedback and comments totally welcome. Thanks in advance. Enemy: Ally:
Advertisement
Durn, these are running pretty slow for me, sorry if they do for you, too.

Anyway, here are some non-isometric ones I made, too, for further feedback. Thanks. ^_^

Enemy:

Ally:

Ally:
1st Enemy: Looks mean. I like.
1st Ally: That's one kick-ass mushroom. He can be on my team any day.
2nd Enemy: Doesn't strike me as an enemy. He's crying. Not very intimidating.
2nd Ally: Spikes are neat, but it looks like a dead fish. Can it even move?
3rd Ally: He's cool. He can join the team as well.

Overall, the art style is consistent, which is good; it's very cartoon-ish. Actual animation and movement is fun, but not very fluid. For a game, adding in a couple more frames for each animation would help.

Do you have any others? Also, would be interested to hear more about the game. Good job. :)
Thanks for the feedback! I agree that more frames would help- if only I had teams of artists working under me to make all the tweens nice and smooth. I'll get to it eventually. ^_^

That's all the sprites I've got for now. I have plenty of still images and sketches to work with, though.

The game, tentatively titled Stokestone Manor Online (or SMO, for short), is in the very early stages of production... like, there is no game yet, just a rough battlefield with these units on it. We* are working on it...

*Beavertoe Software, that is (^_^) b
Those aren't bad! I'd use 'em if there were more animations and creatures/characters.
OK, I added in some frames to smooth them out a bit (the first two at least. The others were just playing around and won't be used).

Thanks, mpipe; now I want to make more creatures! ^o^
Quote:Original post by waru
OK, I added in some frames to smooth them out a bit (the first two at least. The others were just playing around and won't be used).

Much better with the added frames. Mushroom guy could still use some work, though. As for the other three, don't throw out the gray flying egg thing! He'd make a good tutorial creature or pet of sorts.

/me pickets until flying gray egg dude is saved from the trash bin!
The enemy in the first post has some shading, which is on one hand inconsistent with the other four sprites and on the other hand not completely plausible (if the creature is roughly a cylinder, its shading should be in the same position when it looks forward and when it looks back; the shadow shape of the looking back frame is better because the visually prominent middle of the body doesn't appear flat).

Outline thickness is also quite inconsistent between drawings; the blue and red blobboids, the mushroom and the last two creatures seem to constitute three different families.

However, they are all very stylish and well animated (except for a serious frame shortage); I hope you post more of your art.

I wonder which sort of game can use such extra-large sprites: for example, the first guy takes about 150 by 300 pixels and in a large 1024 by 768 window three of them in a line would leave little room for anything else and four wouldn't fit.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Quote:Original post by Omega147
Quote:Original post by waru

Much better with the added frames. Mushroom guy could still use some work, though. As for the other three, don't throw out the gray flying egg thing! He'd make a good tutorial creature or pet of sorts.

/me pickets until flying gray egg dude is saved from the trash bin!

He can probably be used somehow ^_-
Quote:Original post by LorenzoGatti
The enemy in the first post has some shading, which is on one hand inconsistent with the other four sprites and on the other hand not completely plausible (if the creature is roughly a cylinder, its shading should be in the same position when it looks forward and when it looks back; the shadow shape of the looking back frame is better because the visually prominent middle of the body doesn't appear flat).

Outline thickness is also quite inconsistent between drawings; the blue and red blobboids, the mushroom and the last two creatures seem to constitute three different families.

However, they are all very stylish and well animated (except for a serious frame shortage); I hope you post more of your art.

I wonder which sort of game can use such extra-large sprites: for example, the first guy takes about 150 by 300 pixels and in a large 1024 by 768 window three of them in a line would leave little room for anything else and four wouldn't fit.

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

Actually, all the sprites except red blob have some shading. About blue blob, I didn't want to cover his face in shadow, but only a small shadow in the back didn't look right. I think it looks alright even though it's inconsistent.

The line differences are from resizing in flash and can luckily be easily changed; thanks for pointing that out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement