Sign in to follow this  
therealremi

artifact when projecting texture

Hi, I hope this is some well known beginner error: When projecting the reflection texture on my water geometry I get some shaking white band in places where the water geometry is close to terrain geometry. This only happens when camera rotates vertically, and it seems that this artifact is more noticeable when the terrain geometry has higher slope. I wasn't able to capture the artifact with a screenshot but at leat I drew arrows in places where it is more visible. Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

This is a normal problem when doing water reflections like this..
I think everyone gets this problem. I don't think there is a "correct" way to solve it..You basically have to tweak it until it is fixed... maybe shift the clipping plane up a bit, so it doesnt meet at exactly the water level..

also, you can try to clearing your background to a darker color, so the sparkles aren't so noticeable..If you are using a bump map this makes it worse, so try to suppress the bump map right near the water's edge.

Matt Aufderheide: It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one who deals with this issue but I've been unsuccessfull trying to eliminate it with the tweaks you suggested. I do not really understand the cause of this visual bug...

I'm lost here.
If you don't know what I'm talking about then please run this demo (48 MB):
http://www.remi.in5.pl/downloads/rem_demo.rar

[Edited by - therealremi on July 25, 2007 2:01:15 PM]