Sign in to follow this  
ouraqt

Win32 API Question - Goto Line Number

ouraqt    236
I'm developing an IDE for a scripting language I wrote, and I need some help regarding edit boxes. I have it so that (like in Visual Studio) when you double-click on an error message at the bottom, the IDE will highlight the error in the source file (which is displayed in a normal edit box above the error window). It highlights the error correctly, but if the error is off the screen (i.e. you need to scroll to see it) then I need some way to make the edit box automatically scroll to a certain line number. I'm using plain old Windows API, no MFC, in unmanaged C++. This is the code I use to create the window: hCompOutput = CreateWindowEx(WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, "LISTBOX", "", WS_CHILD|WS_VISIBLE|WS_VSCROLL|LBS_DISABLENOSCROLL|LBS_NOINTEGRALHEIGHT|LBS_NOTIFY, 0, 0, 0, 0, hWnd, NULL, hInst, NULL); So basically, I need to implement a feature similar to Ctrl+G (goto line) in notepad. I tried using this: SCROLLINFO lpsi; lpsi.cbSize = sizeof(SCROLLINFO); lpsi.fMask = SIF_RANGE; GetScrollInfo(hEdit, SB_VERT, &lpsi); lpsi.cbSize = sizeof(SCROLLINFO); lpsi.fMask = SIF_PAGE|SIF_POS; lpsi.nPage = 10; lpsi.nPos = (Line-1)*(lpsi.nMax-9)/lpsi.nMax; SetScrollInfo(hEdit, SB_VERT, &lpsi, TRUE); lpsi.cbSize = sizeof(SCROLLINFO); lpsi.fMask = SIF_PAGE|SIF_POS; lpsi.nPage = 10; lpsi.nPos = 0; SetScrollInfo(hEdit, SB_HORZ, &lpsi, TRUE); ...the scrollbar moved to the correct spot, but the text in the edit box didn't move. And If I use the mousewheel to scroll from there, the scrollbar jumps back to where it was before. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Omega147    536
You probably want the EM_LINESCROLL message, which will let you scroll the edit control vertically and horizontally by the amounts specified in the provided LPARAM and WPARAM. EM_SCROLL will also do it, but only one line or page at a time. For a full list of messages that can be sent to a Win32 Edit Control, go to this link (scroll down to "Messages").

ouraqt    236
Thanks. A little further down that page I found what I was looking for:

SendMessage(hEdit, EM_SCROLLCARET, 0, 0);

Such a simple solution...that makes me happy.