Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Persson

Meshes in dx10

Hi I am currently developing a framework for dx10 and am about to implement meshes with x files. Is there any documentation for this, all I found was for the sdkmesh format? From what I could see the ID3DX10Mesh interface didn´t have any D3DXLoadMeshFromX function or similar like the dx9 version have.

The D3DX library doesn't contain a D3D10-compatible "built-in" mesh class. However, the DXUT SDKMesh class (for which the SDK has the sources) is very similar to D3DXMesh; it encapsulates vertex, index and attribute buffers and provides methods to conveniently manipulate and draw the data stored in those buffers.

I recommend that you study how the SDKMesh ticks, and create your own mesh class for your specific needs. It really isn't as difficult as it may first seem.

Convert from a ID3DXMesh to ID3DX10Mesh - use your tried and tested D3DX9 mesh loading and manipulation functions and then copy across the final data to D3D10 for rendering...

D3DX10 is still a bit light on mesh-related routines, so sticking with D3DX9 isn't a bad choice. I posted some manual D3DX10 mesh code here, and I could probably dig up my generic D3DX9->D3DX10 routine later (I'm at work right now).

hth
Jack

Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
Convert from a ID3DXMesh to ID3DX10Mesh - use your tried and tested D3DX9 mesh loading and manipulation functions and then copy across the final data to D3D10 for rendering...

D3DX10 is still a bit light on mesh-related routines, so sticking with D3DX9 isn't a bad choice. I posted some manual D3DX10 mesh code here, and I could probably dig up my generic D3DX9->D3DX10 routine later (I'm at work right now).

hth
Jack

I can second this approach. Using the DirectX10 mesh stuff as a standalone solution is painful. And don't even think, for a second, about using the CDXUTSDKMesh class for loading a mesh. Not even for a second.

That said, it's a good place to look for ideas and implementation tips (as Nik02 said), but as a single solution it's kind of, uh, ouch.