• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
wforl

OpenGL The big red Book

This topic is 4015 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I currently have the book, beginning OpenGl game programming, and am kind of struggling, as in theres some stuff that just dont understand, and i thought that maybe a more explanational book would help. And i came across this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/OpenGL-Programming-Guide-Official-Learning/dp/0321335732/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/202-7256194-6888620?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184233886&sr=8-1 does anybody have both of these books, and could they tell me, if they found the later easyier to read. I think that the first book is great, but maybe its for somone with a better understanding of programming than me, as they go through stuff quickly. Thanks

Advertisement

I don't have both books but, as any serious OpenGL programmer should, I do have the red book.

When I started OpenGL programming (some 15 years or so back), I bought two books:
- The OpenGL Super Bible (http://www.starstonesoftware.com/OpenGL/)
- The OpenGL Programming Guide (http://www.opengl.org/documentation/red_book/)

I still think it's the perfect start for the beginning Graphics/OpenGL programmer.
The Red book can be used as a reference guide and adds very accessible explanations. The Super bible covers all basic topics in a clear step by step tutorial style. It also features full source code including project files for Visual studio of all examples in the book.

There is plenty of info on those book on the web, if you're not convinced.

I hope this helps,

Serge van Keulen

Thanks for your comments Treestory, both the books look great, and will probaly purchase them soon,

is there any that you would recommend over the other?

i also noticed that they've both been revised for 2007, ...cool

If you really have to pick one, and if you are beginning to learn OpenGL/Graphics programming I guess you should pick the Super bible. But the red book is something that ever OpenGL programmer should have within reach. Especially when you start using more advanced techniques.

I also started with Beginning OpenGL Game Programming. I, on the other hand, really liked it and learned a lot from it. I think that you could too.

As for a book going "through stuff rather quickly", you have to remember that it's a book. It is entirely self-paced. If you need more time on something, you can take that time on it. There's no set "must read 50 pages a week" schedule on a book. So take it slowly - don't move onto the next section before you truly understand the previous section. This stuff isn't easy; it takes time to learn it. But time you have when it's a book. If you need more information on a topic, search for it online. There's tons of stuff out there, including a free copy of the Red Book, which really is the definitive guide to OpenGL.

I guess what I'm saying is take you time and make sure to do the exercises and if you don't understand something, use your resources. There's lots online, so google. You can ask about more than just errors here; you can ask about topics you don't understand and I'm sure that someone will be able to either point you to a good site, or answer you themselves. But most importantly, don't give up.

Good luck. [smile]

The second edition of the red book is free and can be found here. It's outdated but it still contains a lot of useful information and it will give you a feel for the book's writing style. I strongly recommend that you look at it before buying a new version. As many people will tell you, it can be quite daunting for someone new to 3D math of graphics.

I think an old version of the reference manual can also be found somewhere online.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!