Doomed from the start

Started by
12 comments, last by jbadams 16 years, 9 months ago
Thanks for the input.

As it stands right now, the 'mission briefing' hasn't been written, but there most certainly will be one, and it most certainly will contain information somewhat to the effect of "There will be only one exit" and "Make certain to secure passage to the exit for the rest of your team". The exit is also very clearly marked already, and a defensive advantage is already presented in that room, so this central room is very obviously of tactical importance. As the original design stood though [and still stands, but thats because I've not worked on it], the level never actually restricts the player from shooting themselves in the foot by abandoning that strategic point.

Putting the level on the back burner for now though [especially considering the clear response of "don't do it"], and going with things a bit more typical and straight-forward [attack this, defend that...]. Who knows, maybe it'll make it in later.

With regard to loosing characters, once a character is dead, the individual character is gone forever [no resurrection], but it's not like the team will forever have a empty slot in it. Extras can be recruited at very little charge to the player, but characters gain experience [it doesn't make *that* big of a difference, but a hardened veteran is of substantially greater value than a fresh recruit, especially considering they both take up a single character slot when deciding who to bring on a mission]. Starting a squad from scratch with all fresh recruits, and suffering the resource loss associated with loosing the complete equipment set of a full squad can be pretty bad, but not unrecoverable.
Advertisement
I like this idea. Definitely put it in, but warn the player (you said it's already obvious that its an important room, so mention in the briefing that you need to defend the exit and your set). I like how it forces the player to split concentration between the defence and the attack on the rest of the level. Challenging and great for a later mission, provided the rest of the level isn't too easy.

Like I said, I like it.
A mention in the briefing isn't enough, as many players will largely ignore briefings and get straight into the game. You need to have plenty of indications as to what specifically must be accomplished during the mission. One of the worst design aspects of MechCommander was the complete lack of useful tactical information given (or, rather, not given) during each briefing. I had to fail some missions several times before I had enough information to complete them. I did finish the game for some reason, but it frustrated me to hell and back.

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

Quote:Original post by Drigovas
The problem is this: Should the player be allowed to continue along a level toward their objective when success in the over-all level has become impossible [or at least improbable to the point of the chances of success being negligible.]
I don't really think it's fair for that situation to be allowed to occur - there's little fun in playing a game you cannot win unless you're at least provided with an alternative (but presumably lesser) objective that can still allow the player to achieve something.

In my mind it's ok (sometimes even a very good thing!) to allow the player to continue after achieving the objective has become improbable but if they're able to reach a stage where it becomes impossible I'd personally consider your design to be flawed unless you're providing some lesser or alternative objective that can still be achieved (in a survival game for example perhaps you can no longer save the city, but you can still rescue some people).

Your specific example sounds like it might be alright: it's possible for the player to get themselves into a situation where they are unable to survive leaving the mission, but reaching thier target still achieves something. As others have mentioned however, it would be a good idea to somehow indicate to your player that leaving a rear-guard is a recommended course of action, especially considering the penalties for not doing so.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement