• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Which Way

This topic is 3846 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys I'm posting because I have seen so many "Beggining Game Programming" books out there, but i really dont know where to start. I am currently learning C++, and when i finish this beeginner book I want to move on to a bit more Game Programming oriented book. All of the books i see on C++ and DirectX Game Programming all say "You need to know the basics with C++ and directX in order to use this book." So i'm on my way with C++ (My book ends with Polymorphism and Class templates -- no idea what those are YET, but is this far enough before i move to another more Game oriented book? How can i best learn the basics of DirectX?? Kudos to all who reply!

Advertisement
I have tried the directx books that have to do with game programming... such as RPG Programming with Directx 9.0... they are good books for a more advanced user of c++.... If you dont understand the concepts of the language you will find yourself seriously lacking. My advice is pick up a couple of books... a 3d maths book, an advanced c++ book .... then for directx the books aren't even worth it just download the directx sdk it has documentation that is just as good as any book.
-durfy

Well, I usually figure things out by following online tutorials.

ToyMaker has a lot of good DirectX reference material.
DrunkenHenya alos has a few good tutorials that should help get you started.

In addition I used this book for my 2D and 3D game programming classes at uni Beginning DirectX 9 well the book for the class was a little different but I wasn't able to find that one on amazon. There are also a whole bunch of other books that show up on Amazon any that involve DirectX 9.0 should be good enough. And you might want to finish that C++ book you have Polymorphism and Templates are good knowledge to have even though you don't really need to know them to work with DirectX. The api only really requires knowledge of Classes and Objects including all the basic C knowledge.

Good Luck to Ye!

Edit: P.S. actually I found the book we used at uni Introduction to 3D Game Programming with Direct X 9.0c: A Shader Approach I highly recommend this one.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement