please critique my redone webpage

Started by
30 comments, last by Wai 16 years, 9 months ago
Sorry but I have to agree with the above, the main problems for me were the fact that there is just too much content for one page, you could easily split it up and have a nav bar. Also the logo at the top is too big and as stated above the link to your writing page makes it seem as if I've gone to the wrong url. Also you use too many font colours for no real reason.
I'd suggest looking at some other sites that are related to yours and see how they have designed there sites, you'll probably notice they are much more user friendly.
IMO a site doesn't need to be fancy to look good, a good simple layout split into separate pages will make your site look much better and more professional (especially since your essentially trying to sell a service on the page).
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by sunandshadow
This is only the second time I've made a webpage, the last time _was_ in the 90s, and I am copying the html I need out of a text book one line at a time. I'm all for making improvements to the page which can be done without too much effort or knowledge, but lacking both tools and experience I don't expect to end up with something really professional looking.

Why not just use a WYSIWYG editor? Its incredibly easy, and nearly all free hosting providers that are somewhat well known have one available online. No code, just drag and drop. An experienced coder may find it limiting, but someone with no experience will put out a much better page.

Alright, I give up. If the consensus is that the site is a piece of crap and needs to be redesigned, I'll redesign it. I'm pissed off that I apparently wasted a week working on it, and was prematurely really happy that I was finally done with the stupid thing, but oh well. Maybe in another week I'll have a new version.

STOP!

Use a WYSIWYG app for this. Hell, some of them are even free now. (Serif are offering this for nada. I've no idea if it's any good -- I use a Mac these days and iWeb is more than adequate for my placeholder site. For more advanced sites, I throw Dreamweaver at the problem.)

Now. Content...

Look at your art objectively. Be ruthless and remove anything you're not entirely happy about showing in public. Be positively *evil* about this, and brutally honest with yourself.

I don't personally think all your art is bad, but you do need to nail down your visual 'voice'. Find what you're best at and stick to it rather than trying umpteen different styles. Don't be mediocre at lots of different fields when you can be great at just one. One is all you need.

Also, don't your writing shouldn't play second fiddle to your images: Get rid of the 18-rated graphics there! It's a writing page. It should have writing. Period.

If I'm interested in hiring you as a writer, the *last* thing I expect to see when I open your writing page is a bloody great illustration of copulation. Put the art somewhere else. (Especially the graphic novel stuff. A graphic novel scriptwriter writes *scripts*. The art belongs in the art section. You can link to the relevant section from the script if you wish -- that's what hyperlinks were invented for -- but do not include it with the script if it's not safe for work. Your potential clients will most likely be *at* work when viewing your portfolio.)

Now for the design...

You've got the "Oooh! Colours! Let's have lots of pretty colours! And fonts! Must have fonts!" stuff out of your system. Excellent. (If it's any consolation, *everyone* goes through that phase. Graphic design and interaction design are both things you have to learn the hard way, just like any other craft.)

So now that's done with, you can approach the site with a more objective, more experienced, eye.

Consider how potential visitors will view your site and what *their* needs may be. Put the customer first, not your own convenience, or people will move on to the next site instead.

Try seeing your website as an opportunity, not a chore. Use your own art skills to create a gallery for your art. A gallery has a foyer which tells you what's what and where the interesting stuff is. (You're a writer as well as an artist, so you could put a couple of showcases for *both* here. But be subtle. A single, well-written slogan or phrase will be far more effective than paragraphs of text.)

One approach is to think of this as a magazine's front page. A collage of some of your art may be an idea here, or you could go for a more minimalist approach instead using icons, or possibly images based on one of your characters.

The dividers which frame your site's title and writing link are good candidates to use as a basis for the site's look. This is often true of most abstract 'architectural' images as so much graphic design is architectural anyway. Such designs are ideal for navbars and other GUI "furniture". (The "Space Wrought Iron Railing" image also has potential.) The advantage of such images is that they can complement the heavily figurative art. Think of the interface as the frame around your art. Without that frame, it's just a bit of paper of canvas; with it, it becomes something you want to hang on a wall.

Navigation controls should be viewed in the videogame sense: part of a consistent user interface that your visitors can grasp instantly. Keep it simple. Keep it clean. Keep it intuitive.

And keep it resolution-independent as far as possible. Not everyone has perfect eyesight or a modern PC. Some people -- myself included -- have the zoom settings turned up a notch on their browsers to make the text easier on failing eyes. (It's also worth considering that laptop displays often have a higher DPI than their desktop counterparts. Even a site that requires 1024 pixels in width can look ridiculously small on such screens.)

Your website is your shop front. The window potential visitors peer through to decide whether they want to come in. Tantalise them. Tempt them. Make them want to find out more.

Now, granted, I've spent most of the last 10 years doing this stuff and, occasionally, even getting paid for it. There's a lot more to website design than the above, but hopefully my comments, coupled with those linked to by Oluseyi -- please don't make the mistake of assuming graphic design rules can be trivially broken; most of them are directly related to basic cognitive science's discoveries -- can help you avoid the most common pitfalls.

Imagine someone else has asked you to build them a gallery website. Treat this as a paying gig. After all, the idea is that people will come up and pay you money for your work.

One more thing: Oluseyi is right about having your own domain. It makes a lot of difference to peoples' perception of the site, but wouldn't cost you more than a couple of dollars a month at most and you'll get a lot more flexibility with it. "Sunandshadow.com" appears to have been taken, but "marekuntz.com" or, preferably, "wickedelight.com" both appear to be available.

These will usually include email accounts too, so you could have "mare@wickeddelight.com". Having control over the email address is a big plus and also a major advantage when dealing with clients professionally. (It's also less painful if you should decide to change provider later on as you just take your domain with you to the new host. I like to keep a Googlemail account too, as backup, but I never use the email address given me by my ISP as these change whenever I change my ISP.)

Hosting your own domain is ridiculously cheap. I can get hosting here in Rip-off Britain, including a .COM domain name, for about £20 or so per *year*. (By comparison, I pay around £30 *per month* for my mobile phone contract.)

(I'd buy both choices as they won't cost much anyway. The biggest problem with domains derived from your actual name is that email addresses generally look either egotistical, weird, or both. Point it at the "wickeddelight.com" domain instead. This way you'll save on hosting too.)
Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
I didn't use a wysiwyg page maker because my roommate hates them and refused to help me if I used one lol. Also because I did that last time I tried to make a pretty webpage, and I didn't learn anything from doing it that way - looking at the code it generated I couldn't understand it at all. I do have one I can attempt to use though.

Quote:Look at your art objectively. Be ruthless and remove anything you're not entirely happy about showing in public. Be positively *evil* about this, and brutally honest with yourself.

I don't personally think all your art is bad, but you do need to nail down your visual 'voice'. Find what you're best at and stick to it rather than trying umpteen different styles. Don't be mediocre at lots of different fields when you can be great at just one. One is all you need.

From previous experience I've found that my favorites among my own art are not the same as other people's favorites, so I don't think I'm capable or judging my own art objectively. Which really makes sense because when I look at my stuff I see the intentions behind it, which other people don't, and I just don't have the same taste in art as the majority of people anyway. All the pieces I chose, I'm happy with _for what they are_, and when we're talking about concept sketches and blueprints they're kind of inherently homely because they're not finished art, they're diagrams. Showing finished art for that sort of thing wouldn't work because it's not what I'm selling.

I think it's interesting that you think I should concentrate on one visual voice. I do have a style I regard as mine, but that's never what people want to buy. I also philosophically think it's better to be a jack of all trades than a master of one. What I'd really like to do is be the main artist for an RPG or MMORPG, and that takes the ability to do a ton of different stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions about using the graphical divider or space wrought iron railing as a theme, I'll think about those as I'm attempting to redesign the page. How exactly do I design a page with lots of graphics to be resolution-independent?

Writing page, it's under construction, I hadn't really decided to keep that pic there anyway. I might keep it if the 18+ writing ends up on its own page, but it definitely doesn't belong on a page with pg content. The storyboards however are a standard part of what a comics scriptwriter gives their artist, I have been repeatedly asked by artists to provide them with sickfigure storyboards along with my script. As horrible as they look I certainly wouldn't call them art lol.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I didn't use a wysiwyg page maker because my roommate hates them and refused to help me if I used one lol.

Only fools and masochists deliberately go out of their way to make their life harder.

Quote:Also because I did that last time I tried to make a pretty webpage, and I didn't learn anything from doing it that way - looking at the code it generated I couldn't understand it at all. I do have one I can attempt to use though.

You don't have to understand how a thermos flask knows how to keep hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold in order to use one. It's a tool. Stop treating it like magic and just use it for what it is. After all, you don't regularly open up Microsoft Word's .DOC files in a hex editor to understand how to hand-code such files yourself, right? Who *cares* how or why it works! Let others worry about that stuff. Your task is to *get the job done*. That is all that matters in this industry.

Quote:
I think it's interesting that you think I should concentrate on one visual voice. I do have a style I regard as mine, but that's never what people want to buy. I also philosophically think it's better to be a jack of all trades than a master of one. What I'd really like to do is be the main artist for an RPG or MMORPG, and that takes the ability to do a ton of different stuff.

The main artist for an RPG -- or any major game project -- doesn't do "a ton of different stuff". If you're working as a lead artist, the trick is to *get other people* to do all that different stuff. *Your* job is to keep the vision whole; to make sure they all stick to the same consistent artistic style. Nowhere is it graven in stone that that style has to be *your* style.

Management isn't about being able to do every last little thing on your own -- trust me, I've done that and it was difficult enough back in the 16-bit days! -- but about being able to know how to get your colleagues to do them for you.

A lead programmer spends most of his time merging code written by other people into the main project, ensuring it's of a good enough quality and also specifying what needs to be written. His actual coding time on any given project will often be _less_ than that of his colleagues. Quite a bit less in some cases.

A lead artist is no different. His job is to check the quality of the assets coming into the asset pipeline and ensuring they're rigged as specified, as well as fitting the designer's vision of how each asset should look. He may also be liaising with the other leads to prepare the next batch of tasks for his staff.

I suspect you're conflating the "Lead Artist" with a "Concept Artist". The latter is there to get the initial look and feel of the game sorted, yes, but in that case, you really need to work on your anatomy as most of your art simply isn't going to work in a 3D environment. (I have much the same problem, which is why I don't do game art much these days. I have a very rough, cartoony style that only really works in 2D. I'm actually better at architectural drawing and graphic design than realistic character work.)

If you're really dead set on getting work as a concept artist, you are going to have an uphill struggle unless you spend a good while nailing down the anatomy. As others have pointed out (albeit in less than diplomatic tones), your art is too informal and abstract in style. In all fairness, we're overdue a shift away from photorealism, but realistically most of the demand out there for mainstream console projects is going to be for artists capable of realist art styles rather than the more abstract forms.

That said, you could do worse than working on a casual game or three. There's a greater demand for non-photorealistic art style in the casual games sector. (Rather than focusing on photorealistic renderings, try reading up on character design and graphic styles for animation -- particularly books aimed at the Flash / Web animation side. I suspect you'll feel more comfortable working at this end of the stylistic spectrum.)

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions about using the graphical divider or space wrought iron railing as a theme, I'll think about those as I'm attempting to redesign the page. How exactly do I design a page with lots of graphics to be resolution-independent?

Resolution-independence in this case just means ensuring your page looks decent at resolutions from 640 x 480 upwards. Don't set an arbitrarily lower limit to screen size if you can avoid it, that's the key.

Tricks include using a mostly text-based layout and only using graphics to highlight and frame rather than larding the page with whopping great GIFs and PNGs. Wherever possible, use text. That's the real key. It keeps up the site's speed and also makes it much easier for people with accessibility issues. (Screen readers can't parse text in an image file, for example.)

Come to think of it, you could probably get away with using something like JAlbum to do most of the heavy lifting. All you would then need to do is build an entrance page to link to the JAlbum gallery (or galleries) and the writing page. Try and use a similar look and feel for both. JAlbum has a bunch of templates you can use, so that shouldn't be too difficult. Pick a simple, minimalist one as that'll make your life easier.

Quote:
The storyboards however are a standard part of what a comics scriptwriter gives their artist, I have been repeatedly asked by artists to provide them with sickfigure storyboards along with my script.

I hate to say this, but I think your artist just can't work out what you want from your script. Like animation scripts, comic scripts need to include seriously anal direction detail and even instructions on framing, such as:

Quote:
PANEL 3: TWO-SHOT with EDGAR and JANE as they argue. JANE is on her feet, emoting and waving her hands about while she rants. EDGAR just sits there impassively. There is a table in the foreground and JANE is standing behind it.

JANE:
So this is what you call 'reasonable', is it? What the hell did I do to deserve an asshole like you?

EDGAR:
Hey, you proposed to me, remember?

PANEL 4: FRAMELESS POV SHOT from EDGAR showing MCU of JANE ranting further. Her clenched fists slam down on the top of PANEL 6, below, which acts as the table in this shot. She's leaning forward, shouting into EDGAR's face and we're seeing this from EDGAR's perspective.

JANE: (the 'MAN' should be in really big type on its own line)
Why, you... you... MAN!

PANEL 5: Reverse-shot, ECU on EDGAR from JANE's POV as he drops his bombshell... he's grinning like the proverbial canary-swallowing cat and waving a wad of cash -- fifty-dollar bills! -- right in front of us.

EDGAR:
Aw now honey! I said I din't do it an' I din't! See? I tol' ya I ain't a bettin' man no more!

That said, storyboards can certainly be useful in getting the visuals clear in your own head. (I know a pro who does just that.) Whether I'd include it on the website is another matter however. If your artists insist on this, then by all means mention that you can provide one (and perhaps include a link to an example in your art gallery), but I wouldn't include it on the page with the script as it'll be a visually distracting image, taking away the impact from the text.

But that's just my humble opinion.
Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
Re:

Sample Layout

To myself: I think the text shouldn't be in the middle. But I am not sure how to avoid that. It might also look nice if there is a sidebar with a list of prices.
Thank you for the example. [smile] I like the feel of it, the shapes it's organized into.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

That looks a lot more professional and is easier on the eyes. :) I like how it presents your art alongside the text
Oluseyi - Again I find myself put on the defensive by your rather abrasive communication style...

Consider it training. Or think of it this way if you prefer: at least I'm saying it to you. Clients will just think it, then move on to the next web site.

You've got to become comfortable with taking criticism. You have interest, passion and dedication - you've produced content. Wonderful. Now that content is on the marketplace, and it is being appraised in comparison to lots of other offerings. The value of a piece of commercial, commissioned art is influenced by how appropriate/pleasing/aesthetic the art is and how much it costs to commission it. Salsa's art is much better, but he will also cost me much more to hire. These are the calculations that an art director makes when deciding which artist to hire for a project.

I suppose I could be gentler, but there was nothing insulting or unfriendly in my message. It was simply frank and direct. I didn't attack your art or your person, either; this "defensiveness" business baffles me, frankly.

Quote:Actually I did read that link when you posted it, it was even posted twice in that thread. I thought it was mostly BS. My site is not intended to be found from search engines...

Everyone who is offering a commercial service on the internet needs to be locatable via search engine.

Quote:...and it doesn't generate enough income to justify paying for a domain name when my webservice provider already gives me a free one which is relatively short and for which I got to pick my directory name.

My domain costs me $8/year. You don't expect your freelance art business to bring you enough to justify an $8/year branding overhead?

Quote:This is only the second time I've made a webpage...

Beyond irrelevant. Either you're saying that you really shouldn't be designing a webpage, since you have no aptitude/skill at it, or you really shouldn't be designing a webpage for professional purposes. Both options are cop outs.

Quote:I did try to have good "usability, information design and navigation practices" - I made the webpage the way I like to read webpages, which is having everything in one place in linear order, so I can skim it with one scrolling glance and decide whether it's worth actually looking closely at.

You can't have usability if you don't know what usability is. There are reams and reams of extensive publications on this topic; your personal preferences do not constitute research.

Incidentally, this highlights your greatest shortcoming: your overvaluation of your own opinion.

Quote:...I can only wonder how other people don't get confused by having too many options and non-obvious site structure.

What is obvious about your page? If I want to find a particular item and am not interested in the rest of the content, how do I locate it? By scrolling and searching. If it's a non-textual item I'm interested in, then I have to visually scan, too, because you didn't attach textual metadata to your items.

I spent time and effort to look your page over and give you suggestions on ways to improve it, and you seem to think I only aimed to insult you. Frankly, my dear, you're not nearly that important. I gave you my thoughts because I want to see you become better, do better, have something that reflects your style and yet helps you accomplish your goal of setting up recurring interest in hiring you.

Quote:Now, the point of only showing my best work is an interesting one. I wanted to show the array of content types and techniques I sell, but IMO some of these are categorically mediocre, like flat coloring and my attempts at drawing architecture. Some of them I simply dislike doing, like soft shading. But I think removing all the examples of these 3 things would be less productive than leaving them there for prospective clients to decide what they like.

Alas, prospective clients don't really think like that. If they look across your site and see bad art, even if it's just a few pieces, their opinion of your skill/quality as an artist falls, and the amount they are willing to cough up to hire you - if they are still willing to hire you - falls with it. You don't have to show everything you can do (and, in one case, showing the same object colored three bland ways really makes a negative impression, suggesting that you produce cookie cutter art... with a wobbly cookie cutter!)

I went to the bookstore and bought books on illustration as a business. Every one said, only show your best work. I bought books on animation as a business. Same message - your best work only in your portfolio. Then one of them elaborated: art directors receive dozens of portfolios a week. They don't have the time to sift through your mediocre work to find the true gems. (For the same reason, quantity is not necessarily an asset; showing 7 excellent pieces is far more effective than showing 50 pieces, of which only 7 are true standouts.)

You don't have to show on your site every type of art you can create, too - just like restaurant menus don't detail every dish the chef can possibly cook. Put your best foot forward.

Good luck.
So, your web site is a train wreck. I could go into detail about everything that's wrong, but I won't. I'll list the first few things that hit me.

It's tacky. "Glow" effects were never good. The "flourishes" at the top of the page are just ugly. They might be better if they were punchy line-art, or metallic filigree, but then they'd be better if they weren't there at all. Good websites don't have frontispieces.

I don't need you to waste a whole page of my time telling me that I'm looking at your portfolio and pricing page. I should already know that from the title and from the name of the link I followed to get here, so you only need to put an unobtrusive reminder at the top of the page.

There are four different colors of text in the frontispiece alone. That's also tacky. I also didn't notice, until it was mentioned on this thread, that there was a link to your writing page on the frontispiece. You've overridden the link color with a color that doesn't stand out. I just assumed you'd randomly underlined a line of text.

Your titles are darker than the main text, and the main text is pretty dark. Somebody with poor vision could easily miss the titles, and might find reading the text difficult.

Your thumbnails are not all the same size, and they are too big anyway. Filling your page with differently sized images with no kind of framing makes it look like amateurish image soup. Making your thumbnails smaller and cropping the thumbnail to an interesting part (or parts) will make it more likely that somebody will have the patience to scroll through the entire page for an image they might like. Moving the thumbnails into categorized portfolio pages would make it even more likely.

Three dragonesque aliens rather than

Images shouldn't contain plain text that could just as well be placed in the page.

That font is pretty slick, but ultimately useless, since it isn't in a usable font format.

I'm not, in general, impressed with your art. The bull is great: it's sketchily drawn, but appears intentionally so and therefore complete. Your 52 manga faces tend to look like Gray-style aliens, but they're not all bad.

I like 7 and 19's hair a lot (she reminds me of Motoko Aoyama); 22 looks mostly human and is expressive; 25's simplicity is appealing; 40 is quite human and has good detail on the nose; 48 has clean lines and is not bad for face at a difficult angle; 52 seems to have a good general shape and might really shine if cleaned up.

I shouldn't have to wade through the dross to get to the good parts, though.
Quote:Original post by CmpDev
If you wanted to read why it is a bad design and what you could do to improve the design and implementation then you won't go wrong reading webstyleguide.

Neat. I'm always on the look out for stuff that'll help me make better web sites.

One resource I've found particularly interesting is the US government's Research-Based Web Design & Usability Guidelines. It's "research-based", which means the guidelines aren't just stuff they made up: they're derived from a variety of actual usability studies of US government web sites. They also give justifications for the guidelines and estimates of how important they really are.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement