Accessories in A/A RPGs

Started by
2 comments, last by TheKrust 16 years, 9 months ago
Everyone who's played an RPG knows how the concepts of accessories work. You put it on, you get a bonus. Good, great, we got that out of the way. My question/thought is, how can you make accessories more interactive (or have a different affect on gameplay) than just "handing" you the effect? Let's say the protagonist of an action-adventure RPG is one of those stereotypical anime goggles-boy with a gun. Picture Dirge of Cerberus with goggles-boy. Part of the gameplay is being able to change his goggles, which would be your accessories, and different goggles give you different effects. For instance, your Ghost-Finders let you see invisible foes, your 411 Goggles give you information about your foes (HP, MP, weaknesses, et cetera), your Weakness-Finders show you areas on your foes that will do increased damage when hit, and so forth. Any thoughts?
Advertisement
Component effects that don't activate without the right combinations. The glasses with the arm band gives you the +5 to whatever, but the glasses with the pendant boosts your something.
william bubel
This question seems to mostly be based on Final Fantasy and its close relatives. The definition of "accessory" as applying to a Final Fantasy game is exactly what you said: an equippable item that gives you a passive bonus. Once you make it something you have to use, it becomes an "item", not an "accessory". I don't particularly see a need for Final Fantasy to muddy these definitions.

In games in general, there are a plethora of worn items that do crazy things; Zelda and Metroid are pretty good examples.
The question you're asking is very general (perhaps I just don't understand) but lemme give it a shot.

I think you have a good idea with those goggles, but it becomes challenging to give them an "effect" without it just being handed to you. But here is something you may be looking for.

So, you get a copper ring in an RPG, and it says "+5 punching power"

So perhaps instead of that cliche, you could just ave him punch a character, and depending where he hits, it might leave an impression and have the characted surrender easier (depending on the character of course). As you know, combat rings can really screw up your bones.

Another might be:

You get a pair of goggles that lets you see into the future for a brief moment, letting you know what attack your enemy is going to do next (this prosess can be of automated defense if the combat is in real-time). This will give the player a better chance to stratagize without having a rather lame
"+10 defense points" pop up.

PS: you can steal that goggle idea if you want, I really don't need it :D

EDIT: btw, I just noticed that your goggle idea is almost the same concept in Medroid Prime, might want to be careful of that.
---------------------------------------- There's a steering wheel in my pants and it's drivin me nuts

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement