Flying & Laptops

Started by
8 comments, last by Maega 16 years, 9 months ago
For a domestic flight within the US, are there any FAA regulations on the # of laptops allowed in carry-on luggage? I couldn't find any information on this, but I want to ask ^_^ Thanks.
Advertisement
I doubt it. There is a weight and size restriction.

Also, they'll ask that you power on (or wake up) each of the machines to confirm they are something resembling a functional computer.
If you can, try and avoid carrying more than one. If you have like 5 laptops packed into one bag that could get you into a bind at security. I'm not saying they wont let you on the plane. It just best to avoid conflict if you can.
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
lethalhamster makes a good point. Not only is it a potential security issue, I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers with something that has several of my laptops in it. (That is if it is too large for a carry on).

Have a safe trip!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I would strongly suggest not trying it with more than two. If you have bulk laptops to move, pack them appropriately and fly them via checked luggage.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I would like to say that this is based on personal experience and not scientific proof.

My dad works abroad, and his laptop worked fine.... he travels back to the UK every 2-3 weekends, and after the 4th weekend visit, it seems to have got a few errors out of nowhere....

The laptop was built by me using the best parts money can buy, everything benchmarked, and the laptop is used all the time. It worked for over a year without problems, but only after the "frequent" flying, it started getting errors.

I really think those x-rays do something.

On another note, from building and repairing laptops.... in some of the pricier models, there is so much room if you do not take a optional optical/hard drive, that many would have room for something that shouldnt be there... I am suprised no one has done this.
>wilhil<
the TSA says don't put laptops in checked bags (source)
I've been able to carry two laptops in my carry-on on several different trips. I've never had a problem with it. As long as you can fit two laptops into a small carry-on bag, you should be fine. However, I would feel uncomfortable checking such fragile pieces of equipment, although I did manage to successfully check an LCD monitor once.. I put a small metal pyramid on top of the monitor to absorb most of the impact the bag received and that seemed to work well.
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
Also, they'll ask that you power on (or wake up) each of the machines to confirm they are something resembling a functional computer.

They used to, but I think they've mostly stopped doing that now.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil
Quote:Original post by Ravuya

They used to, but I think they've mostly stopped doing that now.

Last time I flew they didn't ask me to do that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement