• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[C++ Win32] Tying Windows to a resource?

This topic is 3873 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I can't believe how difficult it is to get into Win32 GUI programming, windows, dialogs and all that. I've read numerous tutorials and from that I have gathered: 1. Windows can not be tied to a Visual Studio resource, and if you want to add something in them you have to do it programmatically. 2. Dialogs, on the other hand, can be tied to a resource. However, you need a main window before you can push any dialogs around, and you can't have multiple dialogs up at the same time (unless they are non-modal?). Really, what I'm trying to do is to seperate my database editor into different areas, one with rows, and another showing a list of tables - etc. I really like the idea of using resources rather than programmatically creating everything. My question: Is there a possibility to do what I want or should I just forget it and keep hammering at it?

Advertisement
If you want to tie a window to a dialog resource, you must
1) setup the dialog without borders, and with the WS_CHILD style.
2) create a dialog which is a child to your window.
3) profit.

But yes, you are true, you cannot tie a window to a resource, because there is no resource that have the window type - the nearest thing you'll get is a dialog resource, and dialogs are a bit more specialized than windows.

You can have multiple dialogs at the same time - if they are non-modal, or if they are modal but running in different threads.

You have to know too that a dialog can be your application window.

Merci beaucoup, Emmanuel.

Quote:

If you want to tie a window to a dialog resource, you must
1) setup the dialog without borders, and with the WS_CHILD style.
2) create a dialog which is a child to your window.
3) profit.

When I do this, both the Window and the Dialog stops responding from mouse clicks, so I have to destroy it trough the task manager. The dialog is a non-modal child without borders.

Quote:

You have to know too that a dialog can be your application window.

I tried creating a dialog before my main window, but it doesn't show itself.

In any case - you have confirmed that it's possible and that I just need to learn how to do it. I'll try to find a definition of Window and Dialog and see if the latter is enough for my needs. I hope so.

Thanks again, you've been of much help.

Quote:
Original post by SymLinked
2. Dialogs, on the other hand, can be tied to a resource. However, you need a main window before you can push any dialogs around, and you can't have multiple dialogs up at the same time (unless they are non-modal?).

Just call DialogBox() at start of WinMain. WinMain execution will stop, and you can continue program in another procedure (or thread), calling it in receiving WM_INIDIALOG message. If you need window to access the message loop, just create a window as a child of dialog box. You can also read about MDI child windows (and dialogs)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement