• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Good book for math/physics?

This topic is 3842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

3D_Math_Primer_for_Graphics_and_Game_Development I read myopic rhinos review it said it should be read as a first book for every developer. Does this apply to math idiots? Cuz I really need to learn the basics through the complex... Put it this way I dont know what vectors are... Will this book help me understand? Another question how important is understanding of math/physics to programming games professionallY? Thanks, durfy

Advertisement
It's not bad, but it felt a little lacking to me when I read it, so I don't generally recommend it in favor of some other books. It should be plenty sufficient for teaching you the groundwork, however.

Quote:

Another question how important is understanding of math/physics to programming games professionallY?

Anywhere from "useful" to "must-have" depending on the actual work you'll be doing. For graphics, for example, you cannot do anything but trivial hackery unless you have a solid understanding of the theoretical graphics pipeline and the math involved.

It can never hurt to know more math.

From the reviews on Amazon and it's table of contents, it looks like the book in jpetrie's link is the best one on the topic. If you want, you can download it's first chapter from
here
. The chapter is called Vectors and Points and it seems long and thorough. When you're done with it, you can download a sample chapter from 3D Math Primer from here. It's an introduction to matrices and it's one of the best explanations I've seen about why matrix multiplication transforms vectors in 3D space (BTW, I own 3D Math Primer and it's really great, but it looks like the other book is better and contains more material).

Even if you don't buy any book, at least these two chapters can give you a solid introduction to vectors and matrices (esp. the first one).

Thanks a lot guys. Gage i'm going to download those samples and if the first chapter is simple enough for me to understand then the book might be worth buying :-)

Thanks,
durfy

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement