Question about the Wireless Xbox receiver for Windows...

Started by
5 comments, last by Moe 16 years, 8 months ago
I have had my eye on one of these for a while now. I just had a question come to mind today - something that I hadn't thought about before. Does it only support one controller, or can I run two or more controllers off of it? Does anyone have one of these? I am quite curious to know how well they work. EDIT: Never mind. It turns out they support up to 4 controllers. This could make for some fun PC Split screen XNA gaming... I am still curious to know how well it works though.
Advertisement
They work great. I've had one since the day they came out and love it. I've run an XNA game with three players and had absolutely no issues. I've also used it in the same room (and at the same time) as a 360 with mo issues. I highly recommend it.
Actually, I can name one issue -- more of an annoyance really.

If you have a 360 and the controller is bound to it, your 360 will turn on when you power on the controller, which AFAIK, must be done before you can re-bind it to your wireless receiver for windows. Once its bound to the receiver it will no longer turn on the 360 until you re-bind it to the 360 again.

If you don't have a 360, have dedicated wireless PC controllers, or don't move the controllers back and forth between the two often, then its no problem, but its quite annoying if you do it frequently.

In general, I just use my wired 360 pads for PC stuff and as back-up 360 controllers for the rare occasion that I need more than the two wireless controllers I have. The wireless pads serve as backup for the even rarer occasion that I need more than the two wired controllers on my PC.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I too am a glad user of the wireless reciever(got it today:) ).
Though I had 2 problems

1)maybe its just me but i think to open the package you need one of those cutting-metal machines.

2)i installed the software,then started the controller,presed the reciever,then the controller's recieve button(same way as on the 360),but...nothing happened really.And so for 30 minutes.At last I found out I forgot the wireless reciever had an usb cable :D

So,the joke aside,if you follow the instructions you'll have no problems.The controller is recognised almost instantly.It works automatically with any wired usb 360 controllers connected to the pc,though the limit is 4 controlers per PC.The headset is recognised as an usb audio device.

On the package there is "please consider the 360 wheel" so i think it should too work out-of-the box ,though I am yet to get one .
And btw the desktop pop-up screen has a 4-line indicator for the battery.
edit:
to ravyne2001: it is made so that the controller is bound with only one device's ID number. That way if the PC and/or several consoles are turned on,it will know on what machine to run. This connection system was maid also to prevent neighbors from "accidentaly" connecting to your 360.
As far as i know there can be 16 wireless controllers at the same place,without interfering each other.
I know why the controller binds itself to a specific receiver, I'm just saying that it presents a minor hassle if you move the controller between different receivers frequently, particularly if both receivers are close enough that both are within range and are active.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I really want them to release a managed device driver for the Xbox 360 receiver so I can trap the button events and write my own driver to simulate key strokes using the 360 controller.

theTroll
Okay, so I went out and bought it last week. It does seem to work fine (although I haven't tested it out much more than starting up some of the XNA samples).

There is one thing that I haven't been able to get to work properly. I plugged my Xbox 360 headset into the controller, and it does recognize it as being an audio device. The problem is I am only hearing specific system sounds coming through the headset, such as the "click" when internet explorer is switching pages. That, and I haven't gotten the microphone to work yet. I think the problem lies in a conflict of some sort between the 360 headset and my Creative Live! 24-bit sound card. I had a few problems getting the volume controls to display in the system tray. I was hoping to be able to use the headset for MSN Messenger. (My parents and I usually do a little video conferencing once a week or so. It's cheaper than a phone call, and that way I can see what's going on, rather than just hearing about it in an e-mail).

I think I will probably end up reformatting my machine some time this week, and reinstall everything to see if I can get it working. (It's been close to two years since my last reformat, so I think it is about time anyway).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement