• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

MS VS8.0 C++ and 64bit Vista

This topic is 3842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am going to move to 64bit Vista and was wondering if the Express edition of VC++8.0 works in 64bit? and what gotchas I need to be aware of? Thanks

Advertisement
It does work, but just make sure you have the SP1 and the subsequent Vista patch installed.

-me

Yep, running it here without any problems. I didn't really have any problems pre-SP1 either and I wasn't running it as an administrator, it depends on what you're doing with it though (not that I'm saying don't apply SP1 and the Vista-specific update, just that it worked fine without them for me).

Quote:
Original post by joanusdmentia
Yep, running it here without any problems. I didn't really have any problems pre-SP1 either and I wasn't running it as an administrator, it depends on what you're doing with it though (not that I'm saying don't apply SP1 and the Vista-specific update, just that it worked fine without them for me).

Yeah i guess mileage my vary. I had all kinds of problems before SP1 and the Vista update: significantly incremental build would just "complete" without actually building anything.

-me

What about Okras? Isn't that supposed to be Vista native? What time frame are we looking at for a release?

Quote:
Original post by MARS_999
What about Okras? Isn't that supposed to be Vista native? What time frame are we looking at for a release?

Visual Studio 2008 (previously known as Orcas) is supposed to be released in late February next year, but a full version beta is out and available for download for free. I have both 2008 and 2005 installed, and apart from the fact that there is no Visual Studio 2008 SDK (used to extent VS with new languages and plugins) yet it seems to have all the stuff in 2005. Also IMO some of the compile-time errors for C++ are a bit more unfriendly in 2008, for example sometimes it mentions something like Foo<T,A>, but it never mentions what types T and A are. It doesn't seem to be unstable though (only tested the 32-bit version).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement